My OCD has taken a turn for the WORSE....

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I have a small hay field behind my house and for 3 years I sprayed Forefront r&p or Grazon and kept it pretty weed free. well I stopped spraying a year before I built my house on the property and it still was pretty weed free. Now that the house is up this year weeds are running rampid and I do not want to spray all those chemicals since its right there at my house. I was taking a grubbing hoe and digging some up which was a pain in the butt while my family watched me looking at me like im crazy and threatened to put me in the local mental hospital. Well that wasn't good enough so then i took my back pack sprayer and mixed in 100 oz of 24d and 4 oz of Round up in my 4 gallon back pack sprayer and spent 1 hour walking through out the field spraying aarow leaf and other weeds. My family is really worried about me and keep telling me its ok for a pasture to have weeds but I can't accept that. It is taken everything in me not to hook my tractor spray up and saturate the whole field in Grazon. I just planted 50lbs of Ladino and Cinnamon clover in the 5 acre field and would hate to kill it but man... Do I need to be commited or does anyone else feel same as I do ? Does anyone spray within 100 yards of there home drinking water well? This honestly bothers and irritates me in case you couldn't tell ..lol If I didn't have to walk out and see this everyday it wouldn't bother me so bad. I guess once I fence the field in and only keep calves in there and young heifers they may keep it more managable for weeds.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I too am OCD. I spray for weeds: yard, pastures, fence rows. I think your safe. Probably a lot more chemicles in your fresh fruits and vegetables.

Herbicides(most anyway) don't bother me at all. Pesticides I'm exceptionally careful with. There's a big difference between designed to kill plants and designed to kill animals.
As far as the well, how deep is your water table? We're pretty shallow here at 35' but 35' of soil is a better filtration system than anything any major city has come up with yet as far as I know.

My well is 300 feet deep hit water around 20 feet. Do you all think I will be safe to spray 24d or should i stick with pasture pro and grazon style chemicals ?

jedstivers":hclf74vz said:
Your fine spraying, it's the dimwitted ones that let the sprayer tank back siphon into the well or leave un rinsed jugs laying all around the well that cause problems.

LOL

skyhightree1":3hkwosxf said:
Gotcha thats what I will do. I just go crazy over weeds I hate them so much.
I hear yea, I spray my fence lines with Roundup, and 2-4D to keep the weeds at bay.

NMVaquero":bv3rg986 said:
I am OCD the opposite direction.
We are an organic operation, no chemicals whatsoever.

I applaud you but I hate weeds. I guess if you walked into my barn and saw my 10 pallets of round up you would have a heart attack lol :lol2:

same here sim I just sprayed sunday.. I try to mix it super strong so I don't have to do it but maybe once ever month and half if not more... I cant stand fence lines with grass and vines and crap growing on them lol

skyhightree1":2gpgpa26 said:
I have a small hay field behind my house and for 3 years I sprayed Forefront r&p or Grazon and kept it pretty weed free. well I stopped spraying a year before I built my house on the property and it still was pretty weed free. Now that the house is up this year weeds are running rampid and I do not want to spray all those chemicals since its right there at my house. I was taking a grubbing hoe and digging some up which was a pain in the butt while my family watched me looking at me like im crazy and threatened to put me in the local mental hospital. Well that wasn't good enough so then i took my back pack sprayer and mixed in 100 oz of 24d and 4 oz of Round up in my 4 gallon back pack sprayer and spent 1 hour walking through out the field spraying aarow leaf and other weeds. My family is really worried about me and keep telling me its ok for a pasture to have weeds but I can't accept that. It is taken everything in me not to hook my tractor spray up and saturate the whole field in Grazon. I just planted 50lbs of Ladino and Cinnamon clover in the 5 acre field and would hate to kill it but man... Do I need to be commited or
? Does anyone spray within 100 yards of there home drinking water well? This honestly bothers and irritates me in case you couldn't tell ..lol If I didn't have to walk out and see this everyday it wouldn't bother me so bad. I guess once I fence the field in and only keep calves in there and young heifers they may keep it more managable for weeds.

Since you asked 2 questions, I feel the need to answer both...
Do I need to be commited Probably, but I really don't know you that well.
does anyone else feel same as I do
Yes, but they have already been committed.

melking":248whwal said:
skyhightree1":248whwal said:
I have a small hay field behind my house and for 3 years I sprayed Forefront r&p or Grazon and kept it pretty weed free. well I stopped spraying a year before I built my house on the property and it still was pretty weed free. Now that the house is up this year weeds are running rampid and I do not want to spray all those chemicals since its right there at my house. I was taking a grubbing hoe and digging some up which was a pain in the butt while my family watched me looking at me like im crazy and threatened to put me in the local mental hospital. Well that wasn't good enough so then i took my back pack sprayer and mixed in 100 oz of 24d and 4 oz of Round up in my 4 gallon back pack sprayer and spent 1 hour walking through out the field spraying aarow leaf and other weeds. My family is really worried about me and keep telling me its ok for a pasture to have weeds but I can't accept that. It is taken everything in me not to hook my tractor spray up and saturate the whole field in Grazon. I just planted 50lbs of Ladino and Cinnamon clover in the 5 acre field and would hate to kill it but man... Do I need to be commited or
? Does anyone spray within 100 yards of there home drinking water well? This honestly bothers and irritates me in case you couldn't tell ..lol If I didn't have to walk out and see this everyday it wouldn't bother me so bad. I guess once I fence the field in and only keep calves in there and young heifers they may keep it more managable for weeds.

Since you asked 2 questions, I feel the need to answer both...
Do I need to be commited Probably, but I really don't know you that well.
does anyone else feel same as I do
Yes, but they have already been committed.

LMAO... Thanks lol I will turn myself in tomorrow at noon

Skyhightree1, I've never used or read the lable for Grazon so will not comment on it, but 24D and Glyphosate are not a restricted use herbicides in SD and most likly not in your state, First do you need sign or give your license number to purchase either?? If you do they may be restricted in your state! If not restricted first read your lable and follow it closely! If you can spray it close to your yard and buildings try useing it at the lower rate on your lable and be sure to spray when the weeds are small and you should be able to have good results with control. Also do not spray more times the what the lable says also. I don't want to scare you, just want you to be safe!! I would NOT use any restricted use herbicide close to my dwellings. Good luck 101

No I don't show them my license number to get it. Thanks 101 na spraying is something I been doing for years I am a row crop farmer also but I never sprayed close to my own personal home its always had me leary to do so.

I think Grazon is here also, Sounds like you have a plan, I am our County Weed & Pest Supervisior and it seems like all I do is read those darn labels, I do not use restricted use chemicals if can, just don't want to be around them when working with this stuff all day. Good luck 101

skyhightree1":1i046xzy said:
NMVaquero":1i046xzy said:
I am OCD the opposite direction.
We are an organic operation, no chemicals whatsoever.

I applaud you but I hate weeds. I guess if you walked into my barn and saw my 10 pallets of round up you would have a heart attack lol :lol2:

same here sim I just sprayed sunday.. I try to mix it super strong so I don't have to do it but maybe once ever month and half if not more... I cant stand fence lines with grass and vines and crap growing on them lol

Weeds out here are just another green to eat. :lol:

Latest posts