My Next Herd Bull Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

MrJimH

Reaction score
One of our herds is 100% Angus tho we don't keep up with papers any more and sell most at 500 - 900 lbs.

I have been having problems with blackleg and pink eye. (I know I need better handling equipment set up so I can work them without help(working on it))

Are there any breeds or crosses that would help if I get busy and can't give all the shots that I should?

I have heard (internet research) that the pure breed blood can be hit harder.
Our farm in on TN / KY border (if that matters)

Would Longhorns or Brangus provide some resistance?

Anyone used 1/2 longhoorn 1/2 Angus herd bull?

id agree with RBB and if your having blackleg id get on a vaccination program quick. are you in east,middle or west?

No breed is going to help you with blackleg. It is in the soil on your place and vaccination is your best preventative. Blackleg spores can live 40 years or more in the soil. A Longhorn bull on your cows will not do you any favors when it comes time to sell the calves.

getting some antibodies built up in your moma cows will help...you aint gotta a choice... this is one of those necessities... unless you want to raise buzzards and coyotes

Nothing is immune to blackleg, but some breeds like the murray grey are extremely resistant to pink eye due to the darker pigmentation around their eyes. We haven't had a problem with pink eye since we switched to murray greys.

Backbone Ranch":6bcr3lcj said:
Nothing is immune to blackleg, but some breeds like the murray grey are extremely resistant to pink eye due to the darker pigmentation around their eyes. We haven't had a problem with pink eye since we switched to murray greys.

Please educate me, in which manner is Murray Grey's darker pigment darker than angus's black pigment?

Just goes to show pigment has sweet blow all to do with pink eye!

KNERSIE":3ory4cof said:
Backbone Ranch":3ory4cof said:

Please educate me, in which manner is Murray Grey's darker pigment darker than angus's black pigment?

I don't think there is a breed that is immune or extremely resistant to the pink eye.

Taurus":103w2qq4 said:
KNERSIE":103w2qq4 said:
Backbone Ranch":103w2qq4 said:

I don't think there is a breed that is immune or extremely resistant to the pink eye.

There are! Afrikaner cattle don't get pink eye at all, but it has everything to do with the physiology of the eye and nothing at all with the pigment (reddish yellow)

Red Bull Breeder":34r8mpbh said:
There is no breed of calf that is safe from blackleg without a vaccination.
I'd agree with this totally on Blackleg.
As for eyes keep breeds or select cattle with pigment and a good hood over their eyes (for protection)
Cross-breeding & utilizing hybrid vigor can assist with having a more robust herd than any straight breds, although this is no silver bullet.

Also try to keep dust down by installing water sprinklers in your corrals to be turned on before yarding cattle. Also avoid feeding dusty ration mixes by adding oil.

If you have a blackleg problem and can't vac once a year its time to sell the cows.
You can pay someone to vac them for the price of one dead calf. My cows are pretty much on there own with most problems including pink eye but when it comes to blackleg I don't take chances. SELL THE COWS TILL YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM.

I can and do vaccinate once a year. but if you read the directions it is needed 2 times a year, from 6 to 18 months.
Since my calves don't all come at once, some slip outside these directions.
Cross-breeding & utilizing hybrid vigor can HELP somewhat, my question is what breed or cross helps the most?

Herd size 30 cows, location, Mid TN/KY area, another full time job and no help.

All of us can't be a salebarn junkie with plenty of help and cash to buy what I need.

You will never have money if you keep coming up with brilliant ideas like taking a 30 cent hit on a longhorn cross calf or letting cows die from blackleg. If you can't take care of 20 maybe you should only have 10

Maybe you ought to change your management practices and have all of your cattle calve at the same time.
Your management is your problem, not the breed of cattle.
Hybrid vigor will not protect against disease.

Uv got Angus & see the benefit from cross breeding through hybrid vigor so I'd suggest using a solid colored Continental breed such as Black SIMM or Limo. This will hold pigment (unlike Hereford or traditional Simmental) & give ur progeny increased daily weight gain, feed efficiency and meat yield. It will also maintain you Black coat color if you select bulls that are homozygous black.
You could keep replacement heifers from this cross and later buy a SIMM/Angus or Lim-Flex to hold the % of breed.
Just my suggestion- no one else seems to be helping.

As everyone has said this, crossbreeding will not protect against diseases and I have plenty of crossbreds in my herd that do caught pinkeye. Even longhorns and corrientes have to be vaccinated for blackleg disease. And I think you are forgetting that the momma angus cows are still at risk from the diseases.

I think you need to working on your management. Prehaps building a better system to working with your cattle such as the catchpen, the chute and the corrals. Try to tighten up the calving season and have all of your cows calving at once or cull the late-calvers. Maybe you can find someone who can help you with the vaccines. That said, what did you do with your money from the salebarn when you sold the calves? Shouldn't the money be use for the cattle related stuff?

Otherwise if you don't want hard work, sell 3/4 of your herd and keep 4-5 cows.