My new herd bull if he works out.

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
The calf is a good calf but in Colorado PAP is king and he won't be PAP scored for another 3 months. If he PAPs 42 or better I will put him on the majority of my cows next spring. If not he will need to find a lower place to live. His EPD's are the best I have ever seen. Only 3 of them are not in the top 15% for the breed and several are top 5%. His carcass numbers are ridiculous for a purebred Gelbvieh....and believe me I know it's a terrible picture.

BTW I am not worried about him filling out. Here is a rear view of his momma...She's a tank....3yrs old

Hopefully he will get the score you're needing. Sounds like he's got all the other numbers going for him and has lots of potential. Based off of his momma, it looks like he definitely comes from a good foundation.

A.J.":o2heh3l1 said:
Hopefully he will get the score you're needing. Sounds like he's got all the other numbers going for him and has lots of potential. Based off of his momma, it looks like he definitely comes from a good foundation.

The problem is; that PAP scores seem to decline with an increase in carcass scores.

Son of Butch":1d790lil said:
It's always something, select for one trait and it impacts another. Makes keeping in balance so very challenging.

His EPD's are very balanced but they are balanced at the top of the breed. Nothing stands out as an outlier. The problem is that marbling and carcass weight are antagonistic to PAP. Basically the same problem people who are easy keepers have at high altitude.....and I agree. The balancing act never ends. I

Latest posts