My new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Just got home with my new heifer, first female to come here in 23 years or so... She settled in pretty good, had to have a bit of a pecking order fight with the current boss of course.. despite having a couple hundred pounds on her she lost, so she's in 2nd spot.. Bossy girl Artha was very upset there was a newcomer!

Light sucked for taking pictures, I'll get better ones later

Can see a bit of the fight here
[youtube]https://youtu.be/FoymbKdRqSw[/youtube]

She's settling in now.. Artha still has a hate-on for her though.. I just fed them, they were pretty hungry so I went in with a flake of hay and she got some, and a scratching on the top of her head.. then I threw the rest of the hay in and she was alright with me by 'her' flake... more scratchings along the neck, after a while I got to her shoulders, she really liked that, then under the neck, the tailhead, belly.. she'll be used to me soon
I'm thinking of names for her.. Robin seems to fit (previous owners were Barry and Robin.. so if I get a bull, you know what his name will be!)

She looks nice Nesi. What prompted you to go for some new blood after such a long time?

cotton1":3ce1cfch said:
She looks nice Nesi. What prompted you to go for some new blood after such a long time?
Kinda lost track of this thread a while

I'm pretty much down to 3 maternal lines, might even pare it down from there, though now that I have used a couple of my own bulls from one line I hope to see improvements in the others..
I may at some point breed-up to PB, and Gelbvieh would be my breed of choice.. this heifer gives me a start in that direction

I was on vacation (well.. a rather busy one) for a while.. Got home tonight and walked into the corral and up to her, she didn't bother getting up, just enjoyed a petting.. only got up when she was jealous of another one getting attention! She's a real sweetie.

Oh, yeah, and the old man still hasn't seen her AFAIK

I suppose I should update this..
So the old man saw Robin, he really liked her, and asked "She's limo, right?".. I said "No, she's Gelbvieh".. nevermind the tag pin has the PB Gelbvieh emblem on it.

So Artha is the odd one out, Robin and Hestia are best buddies

She looks better from the side than the back, I find she could have more butt, but bred to the right bulls (Like Zeus?) I might get both things going (neither of course is an option too!)

Giving Hestia a lick

Latest posts