My new baby, Molly

Help Support CattleToday:

Agree with @TexasJerseyMilker about them getting her in with their calves and shipping her whenever they send the next load off....but I would get an already in milk or due to calve cow; NOT a heifer calf, or you will have 2+ years in before she is ready to milk and nothing to say she will work out... That's alot of feed and time and money put out, with nothing in return....and if you are in the older generation, then why waste that much more time... you want milk now, not in 2 years.... and yes, I would get a farrier to get the horses hooves back in shape and then maybe you can keep up with them again.

True.... :) Better to get milk sooner rather than later.

Not all heifers work out. Neither of my half Angus did. They had the Scottish disposition although neither had horns. However, my Jersey follows me around licking me.

Once straightened out it is possible to file the horse hooves once a month with a hoof rasp. Thats what I do on the first of every month.

Last edited:
Yeah, she's not a mean cow at all. I wouldn't even consider keeping her around if she was, I'm not totally stupid. She's a randy heifer that jumped a fence. She might have had help, she might not have, I don't know. She DOES want other bovine company, though, that I have figured out already. And she will have it, if I have to beg, borrow, or steal something for her. But hopefully now that she's pregnant, and winter's coming on, she'll be happy enough to snuggle in the barn with her horse buddy and eat hay, and then when she calves, she'll have her calf to keep her busy. She spent all her time with the horse before, except when she was in heat, when she paced the fence lines for a day and a night. Other than that, they were rarely more than 20 feet apart, ever. They get along great.

I've broken in four heifers to milk (and the first one, I was a beginner with cows), and not had any significant trouble with any of them, and two of them in fact were Jersey/Angus crosses like Molly (except they were black and polled). If I have trouble getting Molly to settle down in the stanchion, I'm not going to risk my neck over it - she'll go. I think I'll never have a cow as good as Cricket, and nothing will ever measure up to her. She was a BIG girl, 1,700 pounds, 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Hereford, and her back was about level with my chin, but she was the best damn cow I could ask for. However, having said that, she was the rottenest teenager I ever had to deal with as well. She could have given lessons to Molly. So I'm not going to condemn Molly until we get well into her first lactation. I'll decide then.

As far as the horse's feet, we have no farriers around here. The few people that have horses do their own, but are unwilling to come do ours, and I have asked (begged). I've been looking off and on for 18 years. Anyway, Horus has pretty good feet and hardly ever needs a trim, and he's knocked those toes off now that the ground is drier, so his feet are nice and short now. I know, it's easy enough to say "get a farrier," and I used to say the same thing when I lived in civilization, but you can only GET a farrier if there IS a farrier. You should see the trouble we're going through just finding an effing PLUMBER to replace our water heater. Oh, my GOD! Everybody that used to do plumbing is retired or dead, and of course, those who are still in the business are in the "city" and won't drive out this far. All the people with good work ethics are old and gone, and what's left are the me-me-me types. Work ethic? What's that? They don't know the meaning of the words. Or "customer service," either. I love living here, but there are some serious drawbacks. I grew up in a big city, and I'm so used to things working a certain way, it's hard for me to adjust. I'm STILL not adjusted, but I'm trying really hard.

I started a weird chain of phone calls yesterday, and it took several hours, but somebody at the drugstore in the next town over (50 miles west of us) recommended a guy who recommended a guy who recommended a guy (etc.) and we might have found someone to do it. I hope. He's supposed to call us back today and let us know. If you're wondering why I called the drugstore to find a plumber, it's because I was desperate. I just figured the drugstore employees probably know most of the people in town. I would have called the gas station, but I couldn't find their number. It's not like you can just open the Yellow Pages here and call for X Y or Z kind of service. It doesn't work that way. Other than that, it's paradise here. It's definitely quiet, and there aren't too many people. ;)

If you are going to try make a milker out of this cow please please do something about the horns. The vet could saw them off and do a cosmetic job or just leave the stumps. I thought I would keep my own heifer calf horned until I got a good look at Jersey horns. They are wicked looking, narrow and sharp like daggers and curve outward then up in the hook and toss style. Now your heifer with the disposition that she has is been living quite a while with rough (behaving) cattle. I worry about people who are physically fragile and so far way from medical attention.

Your stanchion could be a panic trigger and with horns to boot. I saw a video of this woman's milking barn where she did not use a stanchion, the cow is tied by a collar not the halter. The woman does not use feed or treats. She said it makes cows 'evil'. The cows are led away and get feed AFTER they were milked. Perhaps the constant giving of treats reinforces her bad behavior. She misbehaves, she gets treats.

I would sure like to get a used belly pail surge milker. My old hands are getting arthritis from hand milking.

I have a Surge, for exactly that reason. Trying to milk teeny-weeny teats by hand wrecked my thumbs. I managed it for two lactations, but then I had to get the Surge or stop milking completely. I love that milker! I'm glad I got mine when it was only awfully expensive. Now they're hideously expensive. I couldn't afford one now...

Also, I think if you knew me, some of your fears would be allayed. I'm getting the idea from your posts that you think I'm a beginner. I have quite a lot of experience with large animals, especially cows. If you want to worry about someone, you could join me in worrying about my husband. He means well, but he doesn't have a lick of cow-sense! LOL! If something out of the ordinary is happening (shots for instance), I make him leave the barn. Sometimes I could use his help, but it's easier to do what I need to do without worrying about where he is and what might happen.

I'll have to go back and read through my posts on this thread and see what I might have said to make you think Molly is mean or otherwise belligerent. Other than she doesn't like to have her head touched, she's a sweet and docile girl. So she jumped the fence. Didn't any of us ever jump out our bedroom windows when we were teenagers? Doesn't mean we were bad people, just lookin' for a boyfriend. ;)

I have a beef crossbred that I raised on a bottle and you can't touch her face. Pet her anywhere else and she's fine. Scratch her on the inside of her back leg and she'll hike her back leg up like a dog. If I remember right vet botched her dehorning and had to have another one out to dehorn her for second time. Good luck with your Molly.

Molly will be home soon, yay! WITH a little friend! The neighbor updated me yesterday on the situation, and said the herd was moved successfully to their north ranch (winter pastures) and the vet will be out on November 7th to preg check everyone, including Molly, and since Molly seems to want bovine company, the neighbor offered to loan us a yearling freemartin heifer for the winter and spring, so Molly would have some cow company until she calves. She said she'd bring them over a day or two after the preg checks are done.

I have plenty of hay, so feed's not a problem, and I'd rather feed an extra mouth for a while until Molly gets settled back in. Horus will be happy to have cow friends again, too. He's been so lonesome since Molly left. And then, after she calves, I hope we have no more problems with Molly trying to run off and join the neighbor's herd. I'm over-dramatizing a bit, just because I was so surprised. I mean, OK, she was in heat. She jumped the fence. Happens all the time, especially with teenagers. Sheesh, we'll get past this. A year from now it will just be a funny story, haha!

I'll keep her first calf, so even after the loaner goes back, she'll have some bovine company. When she has her second calf, I'll decide the fate of her first calf (as in, to the butcher if it's a steer, or go ahead and keep if it's a heifer).

So things seem to be looking up on the cow front. :) It's about time SOMETHING goes right around here.

Maybe, but being out loose on 6,000 acres, she's definitely not gonna be fat. The neighbor said she hadn't outgrown her halter yet, so she can't have grown too much. I hope she does, though. I'm used to my big hippopotamus cows and she's like a little dog compared to them. I like them big and slow, to be honest. ;) She still has a couple years to bulk up and get a little taller and longer, though. I need to be patient.

My other Jersey/Angus girls were large, but they were on their moms for 9 months and then had unlimited feed after that (grass and hay). Molly lived somewhere else for her first year and didn't have nearly the nutritional advantage my other girls did, so she might never be as big as any of them. One of the reasons I had wanted to wait to breed her until winter - to get some more flesh on her first. But it is what it is. She's a nice girl and will be a good milk cow next May, if she's pregnant (but I'm sure she is). I can't wait. :)

I hadn't called the neighbor to find out, not wanting to be a pest, first and foremost, but also we had a nasty little snowstorm on Monday, like a snow-squall that lasted all morning, and I figured the vet wouldn't have come out all this way in it. But she did. Anyway, the neighbor called last night to say that Molly IS pregnant, YAY! (I knew she would be, the little tramp!)

Anyway, we're expecting a larger snowstorm starting tonight and going through tomorrow night, with anywhere from 4 inches to a foot of snow (depending on who's forecast you look at), so Molly will stay over there with the neighbor's bunch until after everything clears. If we get more than a couple inches of snow, Rich will have to take the Bobcat out and clear the whole area near the cow barn so there's room for a truck and trailer to get in there and turn around. I don't want the neighbor trying to slog through a bunch of snow any more than she wants to, LOL! It's no rush. She'll be here when she gets here.

Yesterday when I was doing the last of the winter preps, I "dusted" (swept all the cobwebs) the cow barn, got the trough filled and plugged in so it won't freeze, and put fresh shavings down, so it's ready for the girls whenever they get here. We have plenty of hay still, but now that there will be another heifer to feed, my husband called our hay guy, just in case we need a top-off in late winter or early spring, and found out he saved us back a whole barn load in case we needed it. 18 large squares. What an angel! He told us to just call when we get to the end of what we have now, and he'll bring it over. It will feel really good to not have to worry if I'm going to run short before the pastures come in.

Then I just have to wait until May for Molly to calve. We have lead training still to do, so I won't be bored, LOL! However, I have a feeling I'll just be letting her get used to being back home again for a while. I bet she's gonna be happy to get her treats again, ya think? She LOVES that alfalfa pellet mash, and she hasn't had any all summer.

She was in pretty poor shape when she got here last April (scraggly coat and very thin), but she looked a lot better the last time I saw her, and the neighbor says she's in fine condition now, so I hope she doesn't suffer too much from the impending cold and snow. I'd feel better if she had her own cozy barn to snuggle into during the storm, but I suppose she has a gaggle of fellow heifers to snuggle into, so that will work. I'm sure her winter coat is well started by now.

And that's the Molly Report. :)

They say we got 3-6 inches of snow coming Monday here in Oklahoma.

I'll believe it when I see it. That's crazy talk for November but I'll dang sure take any moisture I can get.

Hope to hear good updates soon! Those girls are sure to be spoiled rotten when they get home...

Build a fire and drink some hot chocolate in the mean time

Our storm only dropped about 3, maybe 4 inches. There was wind, so some smallish drifts, but nothing like they were saying in the forecast. Had me all wound up and then it was just some snow, however, enough that we still had to clear the driveway and down to the barns, but Rich got that done day before yesterday and so far it's still cleared. It's been SO unseasonably cold, there's virtually no crust on the snow, so any kind of wind will blow it around and fill in all the cleared spots, but so far so good.

Now we're just waiting on the neighbor to get her yard cleared and get the girls loaded up, She has so much on her plate now, though, I'm not pestering her. She'll call when she's ready. :)

In case you're thinking about asking,MM, the cows are not home yet. We've had a couple inches more snow since my last post, and it's snowing again today, however, this coming weekend is supposed to start going above freezing during the days for a while, so if the neighbor calls before that, I'm going to suggest she wait until a week or so from now. The shallow snow should melt off in the warmer temps, and the paths will be clear - no more plowing needed. I've waited this long, another week won't kill me, I guess.

Well, the snow is mostly gone and Molly is back home! The neighbor brought the freemartin Hereford heifer with her, and it was pretty dark by the time they finally got here, so we just let them out to the pasture for the night. Molly will show the loaner where the hay and water is.

The dogs were flipping ECSTATIC to have cows again. They ran (more like bounded!) all the way across the pasture with the heifers, tails wagging like crazy... I think Maggie really missed Molly. Horus (the Arab) will be very happy to have some little cow buddies again, too. He was SO lonesome. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when it's light.

Anyway, just WHEW! I'm glad she's home, I'm glad she has a nice cow friend to keep her company, and I'm glad I have enough hay to feed everyone. This freemartin has been with Molly since the herd was moved up to the winter quarters, and they're quite good friends now, so Molly should be happy. The Hereford is a chunk, though! Hay only for her. Molly will still get training treats, but that heifer looked way bigger than Molly as they were coming off the trailer, and I think she's actually a bit younger. She's very sweet and docile, according to the neighbor, so it figures she's gonna end up in someone's freezer. So sad. Well, she'll be happy while she's with us, anyway. :)

Well, the snow is mostly gone and Molly is back home! The neighbor brought the freemartin Hereford heifer with her, and it was pretty dark by the time they finally got here, so we just let them out to the pasture for the night. Molly will show the loaner where the hay and water is.

The dogs were flipping ECSTATIC to have cows again. They ran (more like bounded!) all the way across the pasture with the heifers, tails wagging like crazy... I think Maggie really missed Molly. Horus (the Arab) will be very happy to have some little cow buddies again, too. He was SO lonesome. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when it's light.

Anyway, just WHEW! I'm glad she's home, I'm glad she has a nice cow friend to keep her company, and I'm glad I have enough hay to feed everyone. This freemartin has been with Molly since the herd was moved up to the winter quarters, and they're quite good friends now, so Molly should be happy. The Hereford is a chunk, though! Hay only for her. Molly will still get training treats, but that heifer looked way bigger than Molly as they were coming off the trailer, and I think she's actually a bit younger. She's very sweet and docile, according to the neighbor, so it figures she's gonna end up in someone's freezer. So sad. Well, she'll be happy while she's with us, anyway. :)
How exciting! FINALLY!!!

Can't wait to see pics and hear how ya'll get along!

One of the problems of getting up so early - I have like 3 hours to wait for daylight! A little less than 2 hours left...

I will feel so much better having cows in my cow barn again. I just don't feel complete without a cow for some reason. I always thought I was a horse person. I do love horses, but cows are so much more soothing to my soul. Even when they're being a brat. ;)

I told the neighbor yesterday that I'd LIKE to keep her loaner heifer until after Molly is re-bred next summer. I don't think she would, but WHAT IF she jumped the fence again when she went into heat after calving, and was separated from her calf? Maybe the calf bawling would cause her to jump back in, but I'd feel safer if she had a buddy here, and they could ride each other and get their jollies without having to cross a fence. As I said before, we'll keep her first calf, so by the time she has her second, she'll have a mostly grown daughter or son to play around with when she's in heat. Also, I fully expect her dramatic heat shenanigans to quiet down a bit as she gets older.

Is it sun-up yet? I can't wait to go see my girls!

Latest posts