My Little Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is the bull that has had scours for over a year. I have started feeding him Momensin the last few weeks, and it has improved. If he stands in one place, he has a texture in his patty/pool.
The vet that I originally wanted, talked to me a long time, and he sent off a sample for salmonella. It came back negative. He also said that as healthy as the bull was, that if he contracted Johne's when he was a calf, then it started showing up when he was a now, which would be around the time or a little late; and he had watery scours for a year , then the bull would be emaciated or dead by now. He said that it was not just something that they could handle for a long time. Once it hit them, then they would begin to waste away from the diarrhea. It kills them fast.
Now he want to do a nose culture for the BVD test to see if he is an active carrier. It is so hot that I do not want to stress him out. It has been 98 and 100* here, and the humidity has been sky high. I still do not think he has BVD.
I actually think he had acidosis. The more I think about it, the bull did not have the scours when he came to the house. I may have thought that he did, but I remember going in the trailer and walking him out of the when he got here. And if he had of painted the walls and the floor of the trailer with the squirts, you better believe I would have noticed it. I had forgot about going in behind him.
When he got to the house, he was fed the same thing the cows were fed. Distillers grain. I think that it was too much for his system. I was not over feeding it, but I think possibly that some cattle are more sensitive to it than others. The Momensin has started a change. Between six cows and him, I am feeding 1 gallon of distillers grain for the pound of feed per animal, and one half gallon of Momensin, because the cows refused to eat a level any higher than that. I had them up to twice as much Momensin as that, and they ate it, but soon, they started backing away from the trough.
I started backing off of the additive, and they came back and ate a lower dosage.
They sure didn't need the feed, but 1 1/2 gallons of feed between 6 animals is not going to make or break an animal if you need to treat them in some feed.
OK.......... These pictures were taken in between rains. The only time the cows will come out in this 100* weather. If the sun pops out for a minute, they run for the trees. So the pictures are not the brightest. They also have made another mud hole to stay cool in. I will not take the mud hole away from them in this heat. They have been closed outside of the barn and started one on the side of the barn that is shaded. Just like a bunch of pigs.

Here is Grit, He is a 5 year old and I have been telling someone is was 3. Might have been the vet or I may have told it here. Oh well, I will have to straighten that out. If he has been on our farm since a yearling, and was exposed to Johne's as a calf, then it would be kind of late for it to show up now, wouldn't it? Dang, what have I been sniffing? His rear end makes me want to buy a large pack of Scott Tissue and 3 tubes of Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
DeerValleyGrit2011.jpg

This is the best cow I have, after she had her 1st heifer, "Pud". Then I have kept her 1st heifer with me too. She is 333, and her milk is shown as being 10 on her registration papers. I was looking for low milk numbers. When she has a calf, she gives a lot of milk, and the calf pulls the weight off of her. I took the heifer calf off of her when it was 4 1/2 months old. Her daughter and granddaughter do not lose any weight at all. So it takes a couple of months to get her back in shape. She is still needing some weight on her, but she is eating the clover and I am not putting out enough feed to fatten anything up. Maybe the Momensin will help her gain some weight. She looks much like her daughter when she gets back in shape. She just doesn't have a whole lot of time to stay that way until the next baby shows up.
P0001096.jpg

This is 333's first heifer, "Pud," out of a different bull than Boomer. She and Boomer have had several bulls. But the last heifer they had, I brought her home too.
KSBardolenePud22011-1.jpg

This is Pud's first heifer calf out of Boomer. "Kizzie."
P0002589.jpg

This is Kizzie's first heifer calf out of a small bull. It is a very small bull. "Sugar." She is 7 months old. She will be a smaller framed cow. This one is for Doc.
KSBardoleneSugar22011.jpg

Here is the cow that is out of the 7 framed cow we have, "Ida." This cow just had her 1st bull calf out of a 5.5 frame bull. She seems to keep growing. She is pushing 7 now. I do not care for her bull calf, he is small, and lacks the kick.
KSEvelynIda2011.jpg

Rachel is a Boomer cow, and she has a really thick barrel. She had her first calf this year out of the 5.5 bull. After he was born, she stepped on him a few hours after he was born. She had his tail was broken in 3 places, and he was scuffed up in the back end. I hope things go better this year.
NellKSRachel.jpg

This was the last heifer calf that I had out of Boomer. She is out of 333 and I weaned her pretty early. She was about to drain her mother. My husband usually left the calves on her till they were around 7 months old, and she looked like a skeleton. So her name is "Bee." She is almost 6 months old.
KSBardoleneBee2112011.jpg

So that is where everything stands as of now. I will just have to do the nasal swab on Grit. I am anxious to see his calves this fall and hope that everything is healthy.
Chuckie

Why not send an earnotch for analysis?

Sounds like your genetics doesn't quite fit your environment, we as beef farmers have very little say about the price we get for our product and the only way to be more profitable is to produce at a lower input cost. When there is grass like you have in your pics no cow should need any supplement to nurse her calf till 7 or 8 months and she shouldn't lose much condition doing so.

heck they all got mud butt, sometimes you can make more problems trying to correct one... diarrhea dont kill the animal dehydration does that bull looks as healthy as he can be

knersie, the nasal swab is as effective as the ear notch test. I had much rather stick a Q tip up his nose as to take a plug out of his ear. The mucus from the mucus membrane will show if he is shedding the virus.

All of my cows hold the same condition when milking except 333. She has a much larger udder; it does not hang like a milk cow, but it is long and full. She produces a lot of milk, and her calves grow fast. She just milks her self to death. Her daughter and granddaughter have a very small udder, and they do not lose any weight.
I cannot let one cow be the determing factor of whether my genetics fit my environment.
I do not have to suppliment the cattle. They stay in very good condition on the grass and clover.
If you are refering to the feed I mentioned, it was not to suppliment any cows condition. They were already fat, and 333 was gaining just fine. I have a lot of grass, and at times, I have had to cut the tops off of the grass to keep it from seeding on some of the plots I rotate on.

I wanted to get Momensin in their system as a preventive measure of coccidiosis, and the prevention of the bull or any of the cows from shedding BVD or Johne's disease in their manure if the bull came up positve. I do not know if any other of the cows may have caught it if he does have it. The scours he has had for a year is not normal, and I have been trying to find out the reason. Momensin cannot be fed unless you feed one pound of feed per animal with the additive. So with all 6 animals, it came out to be a gallon and one half of feed. They do not need the feed, but they are going to get the Momensin until I get everything OK'ed.

I think the cattle are OK here, as long as we provide the things they need. They are not happy with the heat at all. They find shade and mud, and as you can see, they lay in it. Before, they had a pond at the other farm, and they laid in it, and all you could see was their head at times.

The prices are really high for the black cattle right now. A bull going through the sale barn is bringing $1.00 a pound. It is unbelieveable. It is such a great time to cull anything that needs to go.
I just can't go any other breed with the buyers paying these prices now.

ALACOWMAN, The rain washed all of the mud off. That was why I took pictures. They had so much mud on them they looked like dark chocolate cattle dipped in milk chocolate.

333 still had so much mud on her the day I took pictures that I didn't want a picture of her to keep. She had it all up to her shoulders and another cow had been swishing it's tail all across her face. It was definitely some kind of tribal thing going on.

Chuckie

Chuckie, the nose swap may tell you if he is shedding the BVD virus but if it comes back positive, I would not destroy him unless an ear notch came back positive. That ear notch would be proof of the virus being a part of him, the nose swab would only tell if he had been exposed to it.
I have a cow that has had the scoots ever since I bought her when she was 2 and that was years ago.
Maybe it's just the grass. Could you put out a bale of hay for them? We do that in the spring to help control the messy butts and it does help.
Good luck
Valerie

I see there is a bale in the pasture, do they have access to it and if so are they eating it ? If not access ,let them have at a bale of hay while grazing even if they take a few bites a day it will help . Your grass looks very soft so they could be lacking dry matter as Valerie suggested.

The bull does not look like a Johnes candidate ,he is in much too good of condition ;-) Good luck with the tests .

Hillsdown, the hay bale that you see is in with the calves. But I had not thought of putting a bale of hay in with him. After I take my dog to the vet, I will put the hay spear on the tractor, and get one in there. He does love hay no matter what time of the year it may be. I'll put it close to the mud hole. He can dart in and out to grab a quick bite. Soon he will sound like a very large woman walking down the isle of the church with her panty hose rubbing together.

Valerie, did you read the article that I posted in the BVD article about the nasal swabs in the Health and Nutrition board? If the nasal swabs came back positive, I will do an ear notch. I am in no hurry to destroy him, but I will if he is terminal. I don't want to think about it.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/noi/110511.htm

I have got to get him in the chute to complete the BVD tests, but I need some help. This is what is slowing me down so bad. My body is not co-operating with me and I need to get someone to help getting him in the chute while it is cool in the morning so he will not get hot. Normally, I like to do it all myself, and keep the animals calm. Then I can give the shots and record what I do as I go along.

Alacowman, I thank you for the kind words.
Chuckie

By the look of what's on his butt, it doesn't look like scours to me. Looks like wet, green grass poop.

Thanks for the photos Chuckie, I love your cattle, they look to be of very high quality, and your country looks terrific. I think you have very high standards and worry a bit too much, like the condition of 333 when feeding a calf is unacceptable compared to your other cattle, to others she is probably in ideal condition.
You seem to be sorting things out with Grit, he is a lovely bull and looks as large as life, doesn't look like too much wrong with him. I still reckon my earlier sugestion of putting him on a completely differant property for a while might help. Valerie alluded to something similar by suggesting putting some drier hay in with him.
It seems like your goals are similar to mine. I just like walking around nice looking contented cattle in good condition in nice looking paddocks, to heck with how the dollars add up, it is my hobby, but I still get a nice pay check from them each year when I sell the calves.
Ken

Chuckie, did Grit have the same problem over the winter on hay? Mine have had the squirts several times this year, it's all the rain. Also, I have a young bull that likes to eat the clover, but it doesn't like him, if you know what I mean.

By the way, I hope my Retail Product bull looks as good as yours, that's a nice bull.

Thank you RD Sam. You and I both hope that they will have decent calves.
Last year when I first brought him in, he steped out of the trailer, with having only eaten pasture for a couple of years.

When the winter came around, the local Grain was receiving loads of the productd at their mills, and repackaing it in ton bags. So we buy the grain in that form.

We feed that to the cattle, throughout the cold months , and it does not take very much. The cows eat it without any problems, so I didn't think the the bull would be bothered either.

Tennessee Tuxedo was nice enough to assist me get the bull up, but he would have had to take a vacation, and travel to get here. But it is nice to see him offer a helping hand. It is going to get done, one way or another.
Chuckie

Chuckie":23dhe0wm said:
Tennessee Tuxedo was nice enough to assist me get the bull up, but he would have had to take a vacation, and travel to get here. But it is nice to see him offer a helping hand. It is going to get done, one way or another.
Chuckie

I wish I could give you a hand as well Chuckie. I do know the challenges of having to work alone most of the time. You will get him in , I have faith. A few more days is really not going to matter in the end . Good luck, maybe tomorrow morning everything will fall into place . :tiphat:

Here is a picture of 333 today with all of the mud washed off of her face, neck and shoulders, After taking the calf off of her at 4 1/2 months old, she began to gain her weight back. Before, her backbone was showing and her hipbones were too. 333 is the Grandmother and Great Grandmother to all the cows except for two. "Nell" and "Ida."
SBBardolene333.jpg

Latest posts