My little grey heifer found a new home and I kinda miss her

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I never name or get attached to any of my cattle but this was a bit of an exception. She was born March 20 2014, 7 months old on Oct 20, out of a horned heifer that lost her first calf. I almost sold that horned heifer but decided to give her one more chance, but made myself a promise, that if she had a live calf, I'd try to do something good with it. Decided last month to donate her to some 4H kid that had the "want to" but couldn't afford to buy a calf to raise. The local 4H folks came by and looked at her a few weeks ago and got with the San Jac County Agent and they found a young man that wanted to raise one. She's a cross bred, not anything special, but she'll give him the experience and she's dog gentle and grew pretty good-Been weaned nearly 3 weeks and on a little creep and grass for over a month.
1 day old.
calf2014_zpsca5f1140.jpg

about 100 days old:
cowsjuly2014011640x480_zpsbbdeea14.jpg

Last week:
cows027_zps2747e8cb.jpg

She loaded right up just as calm and pretty as ya please, didn't bawl once or balk at the step up:
grey001_zps681eb5fd.jpg

I really gonna miss her.....she grew good and fast and never a minute's trouble--I got way too attached to her which is unusual for me..
One last look as she goes off....
grey002_zpsc720941c.jpg

I didn't meet the young man--he was busy finishing up a pen when the 4h supervisor came by to pick her up and deliver her.
I sent a new chin chain control halter and and an old fiberglas show stick with her, her shot and medical history, and I hope he enjoys her and learns with her. (Told them it was time for deworming--I just didn't get around to it before they picked her up)

She's out of the cow in the first pic and a polled sim/charX bull. That momma cow REALLY made the milk for this calf, and she's now bred to my beefmaster bull.

You are a good man GB, wish we had lots more like you. No telling how much good will come from it.

That was a good thing to do. We are sometimes hesatatnt to post the good things we do on here. Seeing your story might make someone else want to do the same.

You never know, that may be someone ticket in to the cattle industry.

She does look nice and gentle :)

When prices were really low in 07 I gave a heifer away to a good home.. She was the one I had pictured with her head in the cab of my truck.

Very nice thing to do. I like the heifer. I also like the rest of what I could see of your cattle, what kind of bull are you useing?

That was a great thing to do! She is a pretty heifer. I hope the young man will do well with her. I know how you feel about missing her. It is hard for me not to get attached to some of them and then really hate to see them go.

That was a great thing to do. My daughter's first calf was given to her along those same lines and made such an impact on our lives that I can't begin to explain in a short post. Short story is it led to a wonderful mother/ daughter relationship through the tough teen years and eventually led her to a livestock/meat judging scholarship that is mostly paying for her college. I pray your generosity has the same effect for this youngster and his family.

txffamom":3ps9ngey said:
That was a great thing to do. My daughter's first calf was given to her along those same lines and made such an impact on our lives that I can't begin to explain in a short post. Short story is it led to a wonderful mother/ daughter relationship through the tough teen years and eventually led her to a livestock/meat judging scholarship that is mostly paying for her college. I pray your generosity has the same effect for this youngster and his family.

txffamom ----- THAT is a great story as well! :)

GB I know how you feel. I have a good friend and ex partner who I have sold a lot of heifers and cows to. We have a deal where he hates paperwork so I carry them on my registered herd and when he gets a saleable bull calf(i help him pick out his bulls and some ai) i trade him a heifer for it.
The upside is he gets pretty much the best i have to offer that year and I get a co-operator herd.. We are actually trading a cow back this year that i sold him 4 years ago because she throws good bulls every year and she is black(he loves red cows). So averyone is happy.

...............well maybe not happy but satisfied. My problem this year is the heifer i am trading him is out of my Vanguard bull that i own with double v and she is a doll.....i feel like a little kid who wants a do over...the good news is Bruce is thrilled with her and feels like he is getting a great deal, so i guess we are both happy except for me having to watch her turn into a rock star that i don't own :lol2:

When i have two good legs again I will post some pictures of her.(imagine a cherry red little heifer doll with a Gelbvieh body and a little feminine head like a jersey heifer.

Latest posts