My flowers ;(~

Help Support CattleToday:

well youve really gone and done it now posting a picture like that! if you put out beer tonite you will have all kinds of slugs playing golf out there in the morning.

Beefy":cvu69y6w said:
well youve really gone and done it now posting a picture like that! if you put out beer tonite you will have all kinds of slugs playing golf out there in the morning.

I did hear a commotion out there this morning ,but it turned out to be a stray tom. :lol:

Beefy do you know why my spinach would go into seed even before it has grown enough to cut. Is it because of too much rain maybe ? :?

Also we have broccoli raab/rapini growing volunteer in the garden everywhere , which is a good thing. Maybe it will grow enough for me to use it before it all freezes this year. Love that stuff, grateful to a friend that turned us onto it . If you haven't tried it before, you definately should . :D

Your house looks so homely HD :D .
I'm not Beefy but a plant will go to seed as soon as it feels stress be it from too much rain, too little, change of season from hot to cold etc. Usually anything excessive, to ensure survival it seeds.

Thanks Alison. :D What didn't wash away as seedlings in the garden, is going into seed or not developed enough yet to harvest. On the positive note we may frost tonight and it is the middle of summer here. Been a very strange weather year .. :roll:

hillsdown":zwu0y1oh said:
Beefy":zwu0y1oh said:

I did hear a commotion out there this morning ,but it turned out to be a stray tom. :lol:

Beefy do you know why my spinach would go into seed even before it has grown enough to cut. Is it because of too much rain maybe ? :?

Also we have broccoli raab/rapini growing volunteer in the garden everywhere , which is a good thing. Maybe it will grow enough for me to use it before it all freezes this year. Love that stuff, grateful to a friend that turned us onto it . If you haven't tried it before, you definately should . :D

I'm not beefy either, but...
Most spinach varieties will tend to bolt when temps hit about 80 degrees. If it struggled early with too much rain & then got hot, it thinks it's time to produce those seeds and move on. :(

You could try replanting. It'll take pretty cold temps, down to about 28 degrees, but it might be too late there. sorry! Your rapini is pretty tough too. You won't have to worry about it until about 28 degrees as well. If you've got a forecast for a real hard frost, you can cover them with row cover fabric, and that will give you another
4-8 degrees of protection (depending on fabric weight) and you don't have to remove it. It can stay on until harvest.
Good luck with your weather. It's been a tough year so far here also.

Thanks CF, I think it is the end of garden season here, my carrots are the size of a toothpick and my bean bushes are not even 6 inches tall yet. Should have planted rice . ;-) I see that one of our neighbors has sprayed his whole garden to kill it ,and they were a month earlier than us in planting .

But the mac apple trees here are all full ,and the cherry and Saskatoon trees are covered in berries, boy that rain sure brought them back to life . Forgot about my raspberry bushes and by the time I remembered to go pick them, the birds had been at them . Oh well ,there is always next year . The forecast is for a week without rain and highs in the 80's . :banana:

Hillsdown, your home is gorgeous!

Don't worry about the beans and carrots...just enjoy what you've got in apples and cherries!

Thanks Gale !

I managed to get some goodies form our local farmers market this week, plan to go again next week and get more green beans to freeze. At least someones garden around here grew ,nothing like fresh veggies . :D

Am already sick of apples and I have just started doing things with them. :lol: Sometimes I wish I had a wife or at least a husband that was somewhat domesticated ;-)

I :heart: the speckled ones too! It adds uniquiness! I bet your neighbors don't have the same kind! :) Good luck figuring it out!

I have a Clematis that is a couple of years old, and is very healthy besides this problem. It is covered in buds right now, but whenever a new bud opens, before the next day it looks like in the pictures. It seems to only happen at night.
I spray it with a neem and soap mix regularly, and yesterday I sprayed it with a permethrin spray, removed all effected blossoms, and burned them. However, today I just looked and another brand new flower has been destroyed! It only effects the flowers - not buds or leaves.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts