My first TC Total calf

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Trumpet, my 14 year old granny cow had her calf last night. Knowing this was going to be her last calf, I used a straw of sexed semen on her. Last November she went down with hoof problems. She wouldn't get up and when she did she could hardly walk. It was all we could do to get her in the barn. She's been in the calving pen since November. I had the vet come out several times and she administered a cocktail of various drugs to help her mobility. She hasn't had any vet care for the last 2 months and gets around her pen very well. She's not gonna run any marathons, but at least she's not in pain. I've got a lot of money tied up in that little heifer, and I have great expectations for her. As you can tell, momma could loose some weight, but she never does and raises a beautiful calf every year. Here's hoping everyone's calving season is off to a good start!

Congratulations on a beautiful calf....it's great you had a happy ending...especially when you usually only hear negative things about sexed semen.
Good luck with the old cow.

Baldies (black white face as we call them) were the popular thing around here 50 or 60 yrs ago. Seems the trend is back again as more and more people are seeking them out nowadays.

Red white face is the another term we use, For a more solid white face - but still brockle for a spattered coloured pattern in the reds. But blacks are a toss up. I'd call them black white stars, or black white mouth etc depending on where the white patch is.

Latest posts