My first froze off ear.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I seen 90 days above 100. Less than 12" of rain in a year. Now I got me one with her ears froze off...( Least I think that's what's going on here)........gonna make "real rancher " if I ain't careful...

KIMG0684.JPGKIMG0681.JPG

Yup. That's definitely frozen off ear. I have had numerous ones over the years. One year a heifer calf born in the barn had both ears frozen off AND her tail. She had about 8" stub left. We actually showed her - one of the juniors we sponsored showed her as a calf and yearling. The little girl was autistic. I swear animals know when someone is special. She could do anything with her, but the heifer would be a handful for anyone else.

Yup. That's definitely frozen off ear. I have had numerous ones over the years. One year a heifer calf born in the barn had both ears frozen off AND her tail. She had about 8" stub left. We actually showed her - one of the juniors we sponsored showed her as a calf and yearling. The little girl was autistic. I swear animals know when someone is special. She could do anything with her, but the heifer would be a handful for anyone else.
Yes!!! Probably 9 years ago one of my oldest friends brought out her daughter, who has asperger's syndrome (not quite full blown autism). My 2100 lb. head cow had calved 3 days prior. The daughter was having the time of her life, hand feeding cubes to the cow, when I pointed out her calf about 20 ft. away, laying in the hay. Before I realized it, the daughter bolted over to the calf and plopped down next to it. Normally, a calf that age would jump up & run and mama would be over it. But the calf didn't move and mama just watched. I stood guard, ready to intervene. The child then proceeded to throw her arms around the calf and love on it. Mama still just watched. It was if they sensed something special in this child; something honest & pure, meant no harm.

That said, I had a steer named Stumpy after half his tail fell off. Amazingly, his ears remained intact.

Cow came through the auction yesterday had no ears. Course judging by the demeanor of the cow, they could have been chewed off by dogs.

Latest posts