My First Batch of Chow Chow

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My first batch of chow chow was just made under the careful eye of my grandmother.
2013-01-13_12-26-33_297.jpg

2013-01-13_14-44-30_95.jpg

Great Job !!! :clap: Looks fabulous .

My parents have made that a few times as my dad loves it, but he has been looking for a new recipe to try. Can you share the recipe or is it a family secret . ;-)

hillsdown":5cp7d3vm said:
Great Job !!! :clap: Looks fabulous .

My parents have made that a few times as my dad loves it, but he has been looking for a new recipe to try. Can you share the recipe or is it a family secret . ;-)

Thanks Hilldown I told my grandma thats alot of work she said it used to be fun when alot of women use to get together and do all of there canning and doing apple butter. How dare you ask me for my " Families Secret Recipe " lol sure I will share the recipe.

12 medium sized yellow onions
8 cucumbers
2 medium heads of cabbage
12 green tomatoes
12 green bell peppers
6 colored peppers
½ cup coarse salt
6 cups granulated sugar
2 T mustard seed
1 T celery seed
1 ½ tsp. turmeric
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water

Chop or let a food processor do the work of chopping up all the veggies. I only used food processor for onions some green peppers before my g-ma made me start chopping them lol I processed all onions though. but i guess depends on if you want it pureed or chunks of veggies I prefer chopped now that I see what she meant by it. Oh yea I pureed the green tomatoes that I had frozen after all that is chopped i mixed it upthen poured half cup kosher salt on it and mixed that in put in fridge overnight then poured the juice off of it and put the vinegar and other ingredients on it and let it come to a boil for 10 mins constantly stirring so it does not stick cut the heat half down for a hour of simmer stirring occasionally every 5 mins then i tasted it numerous times to make sure it was sweet enough if you dont like it really sweet you can adjust with vinegar or sweeten with sugar. I cooked the chow chow well as we prefer the chow chow really soft and not crunchy. some of my family puts red pepper flakes in it I like hot but others in my family do not so i leave that out.

Looks pretty good, skyhigh. I love chow chow but I never have made any. The best I've found is this kind:

chowchow_zps4d07c5e2.jpg

Thanks Ga.Prime that stuff looks good but im the only person in my family that eats hot stuff so I couldn't do that to this batch maybe the next batch will have some heat to it. Thanks Limo I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Growing up there was always chow chow on the table. I remember my grandmother and her friends getting together to make it and anything else that ready to be canned. It was an all day event and they always sounded like a bunch of hens cackling. Tried the jar stuff that's available around here and haven't found anything to compare to the homemade stuff.

slick4591":3uc3drgs said:
Growing up there was always chow chow on the table. I remember my grandmother and her friends getting together to make it and anything else that ready to be canned. It was an all day event and they always sounded like a bunch of hens cackling. Tried the jar stuff that's available around here and haven't found anything to compare to the homemade stuff.

Slick that is exactly how it was when I was growing up. You are also spot on that stuff from grocery stores is not that good. I love chow chow.

That looks good. The combination of veggies is a tough one for me though cause I either have the cabbage but not the peppers etc. Wonder if I could use frozen peppers and come out alright.

I used frozen veggies out the garden turned out ok for me. the only veggies i had to buy were the cucumbers. everything else I had.

That is quality stuff right there. Looks really good. Now I'm dreaming of a char-coaled burger piled with cheese, tomatoes and chow chow. Good thing I still have a jar left that mom sent with me.

What do you use it with? I like it with hot dogs and a bowl of beans as well.

Thanks Commercial. You have got me thinking about grilling burgers today while standing in the snow lol I use it with everything you have mentioned plus brats I love the stuff. I have put it on a bbq sandwich which the bbq was vinegar based and was pretty tart and that equaled it out and made it taste good. I mostly eat it in a big bowl of pintos with some cornbread.

Latest posts