My fertilizer cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Will I am getting 14-1-0 put out Wednesday for $240 per ton spread. I am going with 300lbs per ac. on 135 ac's. I priced chicken litter and it came out to $8640 since they wanted $ 32 per ton spread and everybody around here recommended 2 tons per ac for litter.

id still went with the litter an heres why.for $96 an ac youd got your fields fert for the year.where as with comm fert youll have to fert 3 times this year.

Central Fl Cracker":32chl2w1 said:
Will I am getting 14-1-0 put out Wednesday for $240 per ton spread. I am going with 300lbs per ac. on 135 ac's. I priced chicken litter and it came out to $8900 since they wanted $ 32 per ton spread and everybody around here recommended 2 tons per ac for litter.

Is 14-1-0 correct (not a typo)? That is not a common fertilizer, at least here.
If my math is correct, that is .86/lb for N. I put out some urea at .65/lb N, and that was painful enough.

The 14-1-0 is because we use a slug for filler in lieu of sand. The ticket fertilizer will show 14-0-0. We have to only fertilize once per year since we do not cut hay on this pasture which is bahia. We have a 100 ac. pasture of coastal that we fertilize twice a year for our hay needs and got about 560 rolls on last years cutting. Keep in mind I am new to the cattle biz and I base my fertilize needs with my County agent. Last year we put out 12-2-0 which the ticket only showed 12-0-0. This pasture was an old burned out grove which still retains a lot of phosurus according to the experts which I am not. I am paying almost $ 1,000 more for fertilizer this year which amounts to almost $ 20 per head more than 2007.

I would think that you would get alot more bang for your buck with the litter at $8900
then you will with the 14-1-0 at $8100

I am paying $ 4900 for 135ac. so I must be off on my math since I backed into the per ton price. My Brother ( Ricker ) forum member quoted me over the cell phone and maybe I wrote something down wrong. All I heard was $4900 for 135 ac. and the 14-1-0 and now I am not sure about the lb's per ac. My Brother could be charging a fee even though we are partners. :lol2:

Either I am figuring wrong, or you are putting less than 300 lb. per acre, or are buying it for $145.18 per ton

Does your soil not need any P or K with the amount of hay that you are taking off of it.

At least 50 lbs. of K per ton of hay harvested should be put down to replace that removed from the soil.

General rule of thumb.

Central Fl Cracker":3iazhdl8 said:
Correction
It worked out to $263 a ton.
$.94 per unit seems outrageous to me. Didn't the litter test well or something?

What part of Fl are you in we just put out 3000lbs of 21-7-14 WHOPPING 521.00/ton ITS NOT GOLD Curious who you were talking to about chicken litter, heard people are running out for the first time. Ocala here. Been thinking about using it.

critterair2
I have a 135 ac. pasture in Altoona and the cow man next to my pasture has 2,000 ac.He had some litter being delivered one day last week while I was there and I asked him how much he was paying. He said it was $32 per ton spread and he was spreading 2 tons per ac. I think he was getting it from Bushnell. It would have cost me $8400 for 135 ac.

Isn't Altoona b/w Orlando and Ocala, can you come up with a Ph. # for the litter guy? What breed of cows are you raising?

Altoona is off of hwy.19 which runs into hwy.40 outside of Ocala. We run angus and Charlois bulls on black cows. With you being in Ocala you must own one of those million dollar horse ranches I drive by. :lol2: Ya'll sure spend a lot of money on your horse barns. :lol2:

In 2006 during the drought a friend who's a pretty good size operator sold all his hay, layed off his 2 full time employees, bought himself a cube feeder and started feeding his cattle 10 lbs. per head per day of 20% cubes all by himself and was thru by lunch everyday. Said he had the best calf crop ever, best conditioned cattle and great breedback. Got a chunk of money for 8000 round bales and at that time cubes were only about $180 a ton delivered bulk.

Latest posts