My calving is almost over

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
It's not like it's a big season with me since there's only five at the moment, but I'm happy they are all alive and no problems. I have one more fullblood to calve and that should be in the next couple of weeks, then one fullblood straggler that's due in August. So far it's all heifers. All crosses are out of paternal sisters and sired by Flying H Black Jack 12L.

1-23-14- Cross

1-19-14- Fullblood piedmontese

11-17-13- Cross

11-4-13- Cross

We have one heifer that's small and she is bagged up heavy. My wife said she saw some discharge tonight. Hope she waits till morning if she 's going to have any problems. I did get our calf puller down and ready.

These calves were all around 40-50 lbs. Those heifers just sorta laid down and grunted. The Pieds are a different story as she had to really push this one out. That calf weighed 86 lbs.

I turned my bull in with the cows march 19 and saw him tending a cow on April 18 so if she was bred then I could start having calves tomorrow. I hope none come tonight, it's pretty raw out there but supposed to hit 50 tomorrow and warmer for a few days then back into the teens.

cow pollinater":2msgjl00 said:
Very cool. I'd like to see pics of that purebred heifer in a few years and see how she's doing. :D

I'm only going to retain one fullblood heifer this year, so if I have two this time there's a 50/50 chance, but I'd be glad to if I can remember. :D

glacierridge":19or7502 said:
Adorable babies slick!!!

Please take more as they grow!! :)

Thanks. I'll take a few along the way, but the crosses will probably be going to the sale barn as soon as I feel comfortable sending them.

Chuckie":19or7502 said:
Wish I had the little Piedmontese heifer calf!!

If I have a second heifer we can probably arrange that, Chuckie. :mrgreen: She has some really good genetics and I have high hopes for her.

As you know Slick,them heifers are like gold right now. Apparently last calving season was heavy on bull calves. Regardless the gender you are going to do great. Good job.

slick those are some nice looking calves.our calving started 4wks ago.we had 6 heifer calves in a row.then 3 bull calves in a row.an have 5 cows due in the next 2 or 3wks.plus prolly 40 more to calve.

CKC1586":39uvvu9n said:
As you know Slick,them heifers are like gold right now. Apparently last calving season was heavy on bull calves. Regardless the gender you are going to do great. Good job.

Thank you! Yep, I'm aware of the heifer situation as I've had several calls for them already, but thanks for making sure I know it. Last season my phone was ringing a couple of times a week with people wanting 15 months old bulls and very few calls for females. I could have just about named my price if I'd had them instead of calves. I guess Bryson's semen will go into those baldys this time as I haven't found the embryos I want just yet. I have my fingers crossed that 91 gives me a heifer this time, although I don't think I'd have a problem selling a breeding age bull out of her.

Thank you, BB! Sure hope the rest of the season goes well for you.

slick4591":11a0rirj said:
CKC1586":11a0rirj said:

Thank you! Yep, I'm aware of the heifer situation as I've had several calls for them already, but thanks for making sure I know it. Last season my phone was ringing a couple of times a week with people wanting 15 months old bulls and very few calls for females. I could have just about named my price if I'd had them instead of calves. I guess Bryson's semen will go into those baldys this time as I haven't found the embryos I want just yet. I have my fingers crossed that 91 gives me a heifer this time, although I don't think I'd have a problem selling a breeding age bull out of her.

Thank you, BB! Sure hope the rest of the season goes well for you.
Slick:
Well, I still have some embryos. IF I decide to sell I would give you a call if interested, have turned down offers so far. Not ready to let go of them yet.

CKC1586":23bus9cu said:
Slick:
Well, I still have some embryos. IF I decide to sell I would give you a call if interested, have turned down offers so far. Not ready to let go of them yet.

I understand and that's fine. We can talk whenever you're ready. I did run across some Miss Ember stuff, but can't remember the name of the bull. Also, Gary called me the other day and he has some Natale but couldn't quote me what the cow line was. I've ruled out that New Trend bull as I can't make myself like him. I'm pretty set at the moment on what I'm going to do with the first two baldys and will have to decide on this last one to calve in a couple months.

Latest posts