My Bull hit the Jackpot

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":2nalv9jf said:
Bright Raven":2nalv9jf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2nalv9jf said:
I thought "real" Simmentals were red as their primary base color? What's all this black nonsense?

Simmental is the most interesting and perhaps the best breed of cattle in the world. The International Congress on Bos taurus, described the breed as " The Universal Breed to which all others breeds can be measured".

The original Simmental was red, brown and yellow with a measure of white. Often, 30 % or more white.
The original Simmental looked like a Fleckvieh does now

I thought a Fleckvieh is a Simmental.

True Grit Farms":3b7utetx said:
Bright Raven":3b7utetx said:
The bull with all the Chrome has the Life of Riley. The gentlemen in Tennessee has friended me on Facebook, if it was not a violation of his privacy, I would post a picture.

The guy must have 15 grandchildren. Looks like all GIRLS.

They love the bull. Man said the girls are with him every chance they get.

It is an interesting story. I guess if you had only had all black cattle getting a gentle bull calf with all that white is a novelty. Plus, he is halter broke. The girls want to show him this fall.

It makes you think! First, the Chrome that we thought would hurt the bull the most was his biggest asset. Second, seeing that halter on him, made him more appealing.

The guy said he will be a horse by fall. The girls are feeding him like a pig.

This is one lucky BULL!!!

Think what you want but that chromed up bull should of been a steer. If you sold this bull registered, you have did nothing but promote the ASA and the Simmental breeders in a negative way. IMO I have a easy question for you Ron, does that bull represent what a Simmental bull should look like in your eyes?
I'll take exception with that statement. Good muscle, heavy boned, sound, maybe a bit shallow but he may get deeper with age. Throwing him on black (presumably Angus) cows, chances are the majority of calves will be jet black, with maybe a little white on the udder, and a few will be baldy or mottle faced. The reason Simmentals are popular is because they compliment Angus well, and vice versa. There's no reason why this boy shouldn't do the same.

Bright Raven":34zbe7xg said:
Brings up a thought! I hope no one gets hurt. Apparently, they show cattle. I don't know the extent of that but all my bulls will push some and they like to play. I had to discipline this bull a few times because he likes attention and he puts his head against you and pushes.

I didn't say anything because these people know cattle so I trust they will be cautious. This calf already was in bull mode. He walked around the bull pen moaning. So the juices are flowing.

Could have even one of the things they asked you quietly. You just smiled and shook you head because you couldn't hear. Now they think he's completely tame.

Bright Raven":m9flv4d5 said:
Bigfoot":m9flv4d5 said:
They'll probably pass it off as black Hereford, and get on the county fair circuit this summer. Show that thing to fall, and have semen sold from Memphis to Knoxville.

Lol

I should have retained semen rights!!!

The bull sure looks good and it sounds like he's going on some nice Angus cows. So who's to say his calves won't be the new trend setter for the SimAngus breed. He's already a three way cross, Simmental body, Angus color and the Herefords trademark the white face. If his calves win a couple of shows, and grandpa has the $money to push him who knows?

Bright Raven":2m2qrk2g said:
Nesikep":2m2qrk2g said:
Bright Raven":2m2qrk2g said:
Simmental is the most interesting and perhaps the best breed of cattle in the world. The International Congress on Bos taurus, described the breed as " The Universal Breed to which all others breeds can be measured".

The original Simmental was red, brown and yellow with a measure of white. Often, 30 % or more white.
The original Simmental looked like a Fleckvieh does now

I thought a Fleckvieh is a Simmental.
They certainly aren't today!.. The look of your herd, despite being nice, are nothing like a fleckvieh.. The similarities end at they both chew cud and sound the same

I know i've posted it before, but this is closer to what they were

Clodhopper":2m2qrk2g said:
I'll take exception with that statement. Good muscle, heavy boned, sound, maybe a bit shallow but he may get deeper with age. Throwing him on black (presumably Angus) cows, chances are the majority of calves will be jet black, with maybe a little white on the udder, and a few will be baldy or mottle faced. The reason Simmentals are popular is because they compliment Angus well, and vice versa. There's no reason why this boy shouldn't do the same.
Agreed... And that's how I look at my homeraised bull.. while I'm not so fond of the chrome, his heifers are far better structured than from the Limo, and in the end, I can breed out the white more easily than breed sound structure into them.. and a *little* white isn't going to hurt anything anyhow

TennesseeTuxedo":39xdgpc8 said:
I thought "real" Simmentals were red as their primary base color? What's all this black nonsense?

+1. He is just as much a Simmental as the solid blacks. So not sure how selling him as a bull hurts anything.

What is wrong with a halter broke calf? Nothing, IMO. Even if you or the new owners never show him/her, it sure makes it nicer if you need to work on them. Granted, everyone should have good facilities, but that isn't always the case. Being halter broke, the animal normally respects humans a little better. Well --- I guess that depends on the people doing the halter breaking. I like my cattle to "like" me, but they 1st and foremost must RESPECT me.

Latest posts