My 2008 Accomplishments

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I hope no one minds me sharing..:)

I became involved in IPHDA early this year. http://www.iphda.com

I run Region 2 and am the northwest Texas PHDA coordinator. We ran 4 live shows in this area this year. My mare, Lena, and I, ended up Level 2 Champions and Level 3 reserve champions, winning a neat buckle and trophy halter. :)
Sarah.JPG

THEN...Lena and I became the FIRST IPHDA graduates of the Primary division. We scored 3 scores of 72 or over, our last score was a 77 1/2! :) I was so proud of my pony. :)
http://iphda.com/content.aspx?page_id=2 ... e_id=47900

She is a reining and cowhorse, 16 years old and Ive owned her for 5 years. She was abit of a handful when, you can see the handfulness in the video on the above webpage from January. I felt like Iwas riding 1200 pounds of TNT on our patterns. The difference in her is awesome and I am so proud of her and the fact this program allowed ME to be able to do this!

HAY MAKER":2w26v3fr said:
Good looking mare,I really like the way she moves,congratulations on a job well done.................good luck
Thank you Haymaker. I enjoy her alot, even more so this year.:) She is pretty comfy to ride.

Congrats! She's a looker too. I'm sure you are very proud of her.

I noticed though, she doesn't stay on the right hind leg when pivoting.

Thanks WP..I think shes got a very expressive face..all mare though..alllll mare. :)

Her's a photo of her and I in a cowhorse class..we got one of the highest scores on our boxing, but we lost the cow at the other end of the arena..:( Shes alittle behind in this photo, but did not do bad at all. I did all her cowhorse training myself, with help from the yearly clinics we go to with Kris Wilson out of TTU.

lenacow.jpg

Yes, that one direction she DOES NOT pivot "correct. Its a bad habit she developed, that particular direction, she "backs" into her spins. a spin is forward motion in place(done correctly), but the one direction she sets back to much on her hind. Something Ive been working with her on, to break her of. Thats why when I see people trying to "Back" their horses into a spin, I cringe..creates more problems in the long run.

Most NRHA judges look more at the front then they do the back..alot of "top" horses dont even truly plant their foot..:(

Nice brindle she's chasing there :lol2:

I'd love to use one of my horses for team penning and just cow chasing. One hates steers, the mare will chase anything, tried her on the minis once and she can sure track.

A lot of horses that pivot incorrectly, can come from people rushing into the speed too fast. They like to get that top star reining horse spin, instead of teaching them to pivot from the right hind while keeping it on the ground. Our gelding can do it, but he gets stuck in the rotation :? Not by any means a reining horse him.

Have you ever taken her to any NRHA shows?

Yes, they were nice looking cows, but kinda wild..afew were jumpers. :) My husband's was.

You should try doing some "fun" stuff. We team penned ALOT in the northeast before we moved to Texas. IT was starting to get REALLY popular up there..there were usually 2 a weekend.:) When we got down here, TP wasnt as prevelent, so we got into the ranch horse stuff and reined cowhorse. I like the reined cowhorse alot. I think we are going to try and haul the NRCHA shows in our area next year..they are all within 2-3 hours of us..which is better then SHOT and NRHA in terms of distance. If you mare tracks, I bet youd have a fun time doing some sort of cow stuff.:)

Yes, seems alot of folks see bells and whistles and dont understand the foundation work that goes into a proper manuver. The IPHDA tries to teach folks those basics, so they have the proper knowledge and skills to progress to a higher level. :)

I showed Lena lightly NRHA and AQHA...so dang expensive..NRHA memberships are $90 a pop..add in $25 for my non pro card..then another $90 as Lena is legaly owned by my ranch and both the rider and the owner need to have memberships. She was shown NRHA alot with her previous owners. Weve showed ranch cowhorse and SHOT

Well, my mare's the boss. She could push cows around and manipulate them in ways only a lead mare can :lol2: I think they have penning and the like at the local rodeo grounds, I'd have to check though. The gelding that hates steers, isn't afraid of them, but he's slow and only really can track at a walk and works off his front and he's so rough to ride. I think my mare though, I'd have to have death grip on the saddle horn, when she goes, she goes.

That sounds like fun, I keep saying we should rent a steer or two and run them in the pasture, but if we had a jumper it would be over the gate in a second.

It may not be a lot to pay to some people, but I'd be broke just hauling my horse to one of those, plus paying when it's all said and done. Money's real tight around here.

WarriorPatriot":37rl5ch8 said:
Well, my mare's the boss. She could push cows around and manipulate them in ways only a lead mare can :lol2: I think they have penning and the like at the local rodeo grounds, I'd have to check though. The gelding that hates steers, isn't afraid of them, but he's slow and only really can track at a walk and works off his front and he's so rough to ride. I think my mare though, I'd have to have death grip on the saddle horn, when she goes, she goes.

That sounds like fun, I keep saying we should rent a steer or two and run them in the pasture, but if we had a jumper it would be over the gate in a second.

It may not be a lot to pay to some people, but I'd be broke just hauling my horse to one of those, plus paying when it's all said and done. Money's real tight around here.

I here ya onthe $$$ part:)

Your mare soundslike my other mare..she is a coweater..my arm hurts after working her on cows..I hang onto that horn for dear life! :)

Latest posts