Mustangs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in West Virginia and i just started getting into horses..I have a few now But we went and traded for a beauitiful black stud..a few months ago and then found out that we couldnt do anything with him no matter what we did he wanted to kill us...So we went to sell him and a guy came to my house and told us the reason the horse was so wild hes a mustang he has the numbers on his neck and all...my question is do you have to have a permit or anything to have a mustang? I dont want anything bad to happen to the horse however i cant keep him at my house because i have small children and now im scard to death he will get out and hurt them please any help will be greatful

[email protected]

If your Stallion is in fact a "wild" mustang (or) one with otherwise bad attitude problem, you might be advised to sell him or otherwise get rid of him. Liability on a horse that is "trying to kill you" is very high. Liability insurance would probably be prohibitive in cost in this case. A few horses can have a bad attitude that is almost impossible to change....whether it be genetics or improper earlier handling, or other factors. My personal 2 cents worth is that whatever your "loss" in $$ value from this purchase to sell him to a sale barn or packer would very possibly be less of a loss if he managed to seriously injure or kill someone. With children around, you do not need an unmanagable or hostile horse on the premises. Hope my suggestions and comments help. :)

[email protected]

> I live in West Virginia and i just
> started getting into horses..I
> have a few now But we went and
> traded for a beauitiful black
> stud..a few months ago and then
> found out that we couldnt do
> anything with him no matter what
> we did he wanted to kill us...So
> we went to sell him and a guy came
> to my house and told us the reason
> the horse was so wild hes a
> mustang he has the numbers on his
> neck and all...my question is do
> you have to have a permit or
> anything to have a mustang? I dont
> want anything bad to happen to the
> horse however i cant keep him at
> my house because i have small
> children and now im scard to death
> he will get out and hurt them
> please any help will be greatful I wsa told hes a Mustang.He has the Tatto and all..I dont know alot about horses but i have been told that in West Virginia your not allowed to have one unless you have pappers and i dont know how to get the pappers..Im trying to track where this horse came from but im not sure how to do that either..Im stuck with this horse unless i have the pappers i cant sell him or nothing..and i have kids now all i can think of is them getting hurt.If anyone knows about mustangs please get back with me thank you

[email protected]

> I live in West Virginia and i just
> started getting into horses..I
> have a few now But we went and
> traded for a beauitiful black
> stud..a few months ago and then
> found out that we couldnt do
> anything with him no matter what
> we did he wanted to kill us...So
> we went to sell him and a guy came
> to my house and told us the reason
> the horse was so wild hes a
> mustang he has the numbers on his
> neck and all...my question is do
> you have to have a permit or
> anything to have a mustang? I dont
> want anything bad to happen to the
> horse however i cant keep him at
> my house because i have small
> children and now im scard to death
> he will get out and hurt them
> please any help will be greatful. Who ever adopted him from the bureau of land management was issued papers with him,and is supposed to keep him for one year. After one year they can do with them as they please. Most end up in sale barns or slaughter houses. But you don't have to have papers on him to sell him. oscar p.

[email protected]

>You dont say how old he is. Whom ever adopted him from BLM (bureau of land management) probably just used him as a pasture stud, and did nothing with him.Which is most likely why he is unmanageable. We have a mustang mare, she is now 9 yrs old. she was captured when she was 2, trained by a 15 yo, we bought her 4 years ago, and trained more by my young son. She is the BEST ranch horse weve got. But, with the stud, Id take him to the sale barn. Not worth your time or headache. If you just recently "got into" horses, you DO not need a stud. You need to keep them seperate from the mares when not breeding. Since being a newbie to horses, Id suggest older- well broke geldings or mares. Anything young, will be harder to handle,and be for a more experianced rider.

> If your Stallion is in fact a
> "wild" mustang (or) one
> with otherwise bad attitude
> problem, you might be advised to
> sell him or otherwise get rid of
> him. Liability on a horse that is
> "trying to kill you" is
> very high. Liability insurance
> would probably be prohibitive in
> cost in this case. A few horses
> can have a bad attitude that is
> almost impossible to
> change....whether it be genetics
> or improper earlier handling, or
> other factors. My personal 2 cents
> worth is that whatever your
> "loss" in $$ value from
> this purchase to sell him to a
> sale barn or packer would very
> possibly be less of a loss if he
> managed to seriously injure or
> kill someone. With children
> around, you do not need an
> unmanagable or hostile horse on
> the premises. Hope my suggestions
> and comments help. :)

The best I can say is that you need to find a trainer to work with this horse. The first step is to geld him which will help his attitude 100%. But if you are already afraid of this horse and he is physically sound. There are people who are experienced with this type of horse. as I am, I have spent most of my life dealing with horses like this and would be interested in taking him off your hands. How much would you be willing to sell him for? As he stands right now, that is. Let me know and I may be able to help, even though I am in Northern Arkansas. Beth

[email protected]

Latest posts