Musk Thissles

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
Stupid Musk thissles! they are such a nuiscance here in western oklahoma. About 5 years ago a custom cuttin crew from canada cut for my neighbor and they brought the seeds with them. I need to get some pictures but there are some stands of them along the river and no doubt they are 9 1/2 feet tall and just as thick as the grass grows. I HATE Em. Spent prolly 100 hours of my life diggin out with a shovel and pickin the heads off. 1 Head has about 500,000 seeds in them and they are like dandelion fluffies. each plant will grow about 20 - 30 heads in its life thats 15 million plants. do any of you ave problems with them in your areas.

Just one of severa; types we have around here. 2.3-d in the rosette stage or git a couple of inches above the ground and hit real hard with 2,4-d and in a couple of years you'll get a handle on them.

I hit em with a strong dose of Curtail. Knocks em flat. Best to apply prior to heading, however......hit em now, and again next spring.

I broke a hand slasher -brush hook a while back and welded on a short rectangular piece which I sharpened so the thing looked like a long handled ,spear like ,chisel.

I sharpen it up and sort of throw it at the base of the thistle ,holding on to the handle,and cut it off just under ground level.

End of story

We have them here also. Grazon works very well(2-4-d with tordon). We have had them for some time. A while back they were real bad. Two things have helped. One was the use of Grazon. I don't like to use it all over because it will kill the clover. The second is to hit the grass with nitrogen in the spring. Ya it cost a lot this spring. But the grass is so thick that the musk has a harder time to grow. That includes most weeds in general.

I am refering to the center of the plant. Had the pasture sprayed one time and like it was posted, hard on the legumes. Now when I check on the cattle, I carry a bottle of Tordon. Comes in a quart size and has a pop top so that you can apply it to the plant. All it takes is one drop.

Their consider a noxious weed here and the landowner can be fined $1000 a day if fined.

Tordon in the fall is the best time the rosettes are small just make sure ground is not frozem hit them after first frost.
better bang for your buck than grazon in the spring. Will also slow down bind weed too

Jeff

musk_thistle_main.jpg