musk

Help Support CattleToday:

Moocow11

Reaction score
ok i just looked at one of my cow pastrues for the first time today in about 6 months and about 50 acres of it is completly covered with musk. what is the cheapest wya to get rid of it. we are in south west kansas

Moocow11":2zbtnbia said:
ok i just looked at one of my cow pastrues for the first time today in about 6 months and about 50 acres of it is completly covered with musk. what is the cheapest wya to get rid of it. we are in south west kansas

Do you mean Musk THISTLE???

If you only look at your pastures every 6 months...well...! If this is thistle, then it should have been mowed before it flowered and went to seed. At this point in time (assuming my interpretation of your post is correct), then probably mow it, spray it later when it comes back out, then apply a pre-emergent herbicide in early winter.

SW Kansas...where? Garden City, Liberal, area??

yeah i ment musk thistle. before this year we haven't had any problems with thistle. we didnt even not what it looked like. right were all the thistle is at is where the bear creek runs thur and i think it form all the wate rform this winter running thur the pasture. so we really dont know anything about it. yeah we are between libreal and garden city, what should we spray it with

the cheapest way is a spade :D If it's gone to seed your screwed. If it has seeded, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, have the pasture sprayed with a plane this fall with Tordon. And then next spring get after it early. I use 20 ounces of Grazon and 20 ounces of 2,4-D per 30 gallons of water. If it hasn't seeded and the plants are "christmas trees" there is still hope.