Murray Greys to critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Okay, so here is our team of MGs that we have on the spring show circuit currently. None of these photos are great, I was doing it by myself.

Moorabinda Evelyn - 9 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_930.JPG

Moorabinda Misty (Charm) - 10 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_959.JPG

Moorabinda Panache (Pash) - 11 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_919.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_922.JPG

Moorabinda Gretel - 13 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_940.JPG

Moorabinda Rosita - 15 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_933.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_937.JPG

Moorabinda Connie - 17 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_926.JPG

Moorabinda Misty - 21 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_960.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_961.JPG

Moorabinda Merlin - 11 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_949.JPG

Moorabinda Kalgoorlie - 14 mths

Pics_for_Cattle_today_948.JPG

At Melbourne Royal, Evelyn was first, Charm second and Pash third in the first heifer class, Gretel was unplaced in the second class, Rosita was first in the third class, Connie was first in the fourth class, Misty was first in the first cow class, Merlin was first in the first bull class and Kalgoorlie was third in the second bull class. Rosita was Junior Champion Female and Grand Champion Female. Also placed first in the sires progeny, first in the pair of females, second in the breeders group and third in the pair of bulls.

And a few pics of Rosita on interbreed day at Melbourne

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1010.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1013.JPG

Pics_for_Cattle_today_1017.JPG

Opinions? Likes? Dislikes?
Tear 'em up!

I like all of the heifers, but as I was scrolling down, and before I knew which heifer won, I had her picked. That Rosita heifer is flat good as far as I can see in the pictures. Very nice lines, good amount of bone for a heifer, really deep, and is just really cool looking. I would take her out, she would definitely compete here in the states..with a little hair added to keep her warm of course ;-)

Do you know who won the Shorthorn show? I have a couple of contacts over in Australia, and I wasn't sure if they went to Melbourne or not...also, what is that shaggy little white thing two calves to the left of Rosita in Interbreed?

lol shorty you crack me up :lol2: the little white hairy thing is a Highland.

I didnt pay a lot of attention to the shorties while I was up there, it has been a while since I've worked with any. These are the results the paper gave me:

Australian shorthorn

Grand bull: Malton Diesel, Peter Falls and Family
Grand female: Malton Vi-Zenith, Peter Falls and Family

Beef Shorthorn

Grand bull: Malton Cougar, Falls family
Grand female: Malton Vi-Win Felicity, Falls family

Shorthorn

Grand bull: Marschay Cosmo, McKay Bros
Grand female: Spry's Picture Perfect, Spencer Family

Dairy shorthorn (in case you're interested?)

Grand bull: Tuerong Earl Binda 13th, M & I Douglas
Grand female: Tuerong JN Biddy 30th, M & I Douglas

Shorties dominated the interbreed, spencer's cow won the senior female, McKay's bull won the junior bull, and Fallsies bull Cougar won senior and supreme exhibit. I didnt get a good look at the junior bull and cow, but I've seen cougar around a couple of times, he's a worthy winner.

Leave it to a Spry's female to win....their Stars and Stripes bull has made a pretty good impact here in the States.

What's the difference between Australian Shorthorn, Beef Shorthorn, and Shorthorn? We only have Beef and Dairy varieties here..

Again, nice set, would LOVE to see a few MG females like Rosita around here and maybe see what they would do when crossed up with a 'horn bull :D

shorty, I dont fully understand the workings of the minds of whoever decided we were going to have so many different varieties of shorthorns. When I was in the shorty scene, there were Shorthorns, Poll Shorthorns and Beef Shorthorns.

I think the diff is that Australian Shorthorns are registered by a breakaway society; I think they are mainly polled. Let me get back to you on that one, I will talk to some shorty friends about it.

Carla might be able to shed some light on the situation if she is lurking somewhere around ...

I do like Rosita---but also Misty and Pash....they have those soft neck folds that (some say) indicates a
propensity for tenderness.