Murray Grey q

Help Support CattleToday:

No, Darla Klepel passed away from lung cancer and her
husband, Steve, sold out the herd entirely. We got
Suzie Q and her mom from him. We already had some
of the same bloodlines, i.e. from Balmoral Elation.

UG":155adb5c said:
OK Jeanne,

What is the story on the cow in the bottom photo. I've never seen a cow that fat.

Doesn't flushing a cow for embryos put this kind of weight on them. I've seen the same thing in other cows that have been flushed.

From your post, her grandsire was 98.44% MG. That's about F6, if he's descended directly from an outcross. So, you'd probably have to look back 6 more generations to find out what it was too. At this point, I don't think it matters. She's a great looking animal, who throws great calves, and any of here descendents bred to a purebred MG or better are going to be able to be purebred MG too.

I think he's just saying that when you sell or advertise her you should indicate she's purebred MG and not fullblood. It only matters if someone wants fullblood to breed more fullbloods, because they can't get breed fullbloods from a purebred. That, and Fullblooded animals tend to be much more expensive than purebred.

The Holstein is behind the MGS (maternal grandsire), Mr Outback. I guess a similarly bred bull appears on the top of the pedigree, too, so therre is more than one shot of Holstein.

There is also some Angus behind a couple other animals, but I didn't take the time to make note.

PB vs. FB. It gets down to however you want to work it. Some worry about purity and others don't. Some animals in some breeds don't function real well as Fullbloods, and some work better as Fullbloods.

I prefer my Angus to be Fullblood (hard to find, IMO), and my Continental's to be non-Fullblood.

Badlands

Badlands":1hseldgj said:
The Holstein is behind the MGS (maternal grandsire), Mr Outback. I guess a similarly bred bull appears on the top of the pedigree, too, so therre is more than one shot of Holstein.

There is also some Angus behind a couple other animals, but I didn't take the time to make note.

PB vs. FB. It gets down to however you want to work it. Some worry about purity and others don't. Some animals in some breeds don't function real well as Fullbloods, and some work better as Fullbloods.

I prefer my Angus to be Fullblood (hard to find, IMO), and my Continental's to be non-Fullblood.

Badlands
----------------------------------

Mr. Outback's sire was Balmoral Elation. Here's his stats:

Regn. No.: 18622
Reg. Status Registered
Sex: Bull
Birth Date: 02/13/1978
Calving Year: 1978
Type: Purebred
Sire: MICHAELONG GRAND SLAM
Dam: BALMORAL BERNICE
Breeder: FOREIGN/CANADIAN
Current Owner: BEATRICE MCQUEEN
Tattoo: BAL269
Color: Silver
Blood Percent: 100.00%MG

On the top of the pedigree is ATI Marvel:

Regn. No.: 30678
Reg. Status Registered
Tattoo: 18749
Birth Date: 06/09/1994
Calving Year: 1994
Sire: ATI ULYSIS 264
Dam: ATI MISS FOLLY 113
Breeder: OSU/ATI
Current Owner: BLAIR BROWNLOW
State: OH
Tattoo: M488 M488
Blood Percent: 92.10%MG

It doesn't say 100% - so is this considered purebred instead
of "fullblood"?

Also on the top of the pedigree is ATI Ulysis 264:

Regn. No.: 28484
Reg. Status Registered
Birth Date: 03/14/1992
Calving Year: 1992
Sire: CAS ULYSIS 31U
Dam: SCOTCH RIDGE CAROL
Breeder: OSU/ATI
Current Owner: HARRY E. ELSASSER
State: OH
Tattoo: M264 M264
Blood Percent: 90.05%MG

So maybe 90.05% is also not considered "fullblood" - but
how does that compute down to Suzie Q? On all these
records I could not find the word Holstein anywhere---
not that it matters actually. Suzie Q does have a lot of
milk; but other than that she is about the most opposite of a Holstein that I can imagine---your imagination may differ
of course :D . Our registration requirements
read: "A fullblood designation will be provided to those animals that have 5 generations of purebred predecessors. All 5
generations must be on file with the Registrar". Our
registrar is CLRC in Canada, and they have been providing
our registry services since 2000. Bulls must be 15/16ths
purity to be registered as "purebred".

Wisteria Farms":2xfzot6t said:
Keren":2xfzot6t said:
I'm thinking MGS might be maternal grandmother's side? Maybe.

Still wondering why Badlands is telling you about the breeding of your own cow, though :?:

(But in all fairness to him, the paper you showed does say purebred not fullblood)

FlaAngus - murray grey cross well with angus, and even better with simmental IMO - and I'm not just saying that because I've got MGs. I've fed out steers of all breeds and crosses, and the best I've found are the MG x limo.

We breed ours so they do have short legs - we prefer our cattle to be deep gutted and not have a lot of air under them. BUT, if it is a bit of leg you are looking for, you will be able to find that in a murray too. Like any breed you get some that are more leggy than others.

Keren, Can you clarify? You said you liked them crossed with simmental but then said MG x limo. Which did you mean? I'm keeping notes as I'm trying to get into MG's. Thanks so much.

Sorry to confuse you. If I were to order the three crosses I mentioned from the one I like most to the one I like least it would be MG X Lim, MG X Sim, MG X Ang.

My MG X Lim steers have done better than any other crosses I have tried, with the exception of a Shaver/Shorthorn/Limo cross that did just as well, but is so much harder to obtain!

I just meant to point out that they do cross well with many breeds, and in my experience cross well with simms and even better with limos. I havent personally fed out MG x char steers but have seen some and they were very impressive.

Keren":3iernzeo said:
Wisteria Farms":3iernzeo said:
Keren":3iernzeo said:
I'm thinking MGS might be maternal grandmother's side? Maybe.

Still wondering why Badlands is telling you about the breeding of your own cow, though :?:

(But in all fairness to him, the paper you showed does say purebred not fullblood)

FlaAngus - murray grey cross well with angus, and even better with simmental IMO - and I'm not just saying that because I've got MGs. I've fed out steers of all breeds and crosses, and the best I've found are the MG x limo.

We breed ours so they do have short legs - we prefer our cattle to be deep gutted and not have a lot of air under them. BUT, if it is a bit of leg you are looking for, you will be able to find that in a murray too. Like any breed you get some that are more leggy than others.

Keren, Can you clarify? You said you liked them crossed with simmental but then said MG x limo. Which did you mean? I'm keeping notes as I'm trying to get into MG's. Thanks so much.

Sorry to confuse you. If I were to order the three crosses I mentioned from the one I like most to the one I like least it would be MG X Lim, MG X Sim, MG X Ang.

My MG X Lim steers have done better than any other crosses I have tried, with the exception of a Shaver/Shorthorn/Limo cross that did just as well, but is so much harder to obtain!

I just meant to point out that they do cross well with many breeds, and in my experience cross well with simms and even better with limos. I havent personally fed out MG x char steers but have seen some and they were very impressive.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear about the MG x Char as friends of ours are Charolais breeders. Jan has mentioned using their bull on our cows and I may be open to trying it on a couple.

Latest posts