Murray Grey bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
Thought some of you might be interested to see the three MG bulls we will be using this year. The first is 024, a 3 year old. The other 2 are 2 year olds. They are all half brothers. I haven't posted any pics in a while. I think we're making some progress.

KNERSIE":2jggsxkc said:
Nice and thick, very good type, just need more hip on all three of them

Thanks for the replies. Knersie, they are all out of the Kauri bull that you and I have discussed before. We have some really nice daughters out of him, too. I have one bull calf out of Patron that is half sib to the 109 bull that I'm hoping will continue to develop. Maybe he will add a little hip.

For the size of the gene pool you have to work with I'd say you've done pretty well. We've seen plenty of angus and hereford bulls that were worse than your bulls and the angus and hereford breeders have a HUGE gene pool to work with. Good job.

cow pollinater":3m0xu2eg said:
For the size of the gene pool you have to work with I'd say you've done pretty well. We've seen plenty of angus and hereford bulls that were worse than your bulls and the angus and hereford breeders have a HUGE gene pool to work with. Good job.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the HUGE gene pool that is leading to the HUGE inconsistencies in the major breeds? By the way all of those bulls look good to me.

Thanks for the replies CP and steve. It's funny you mention the size of the gene pool as an advantage and disadvantage. Last year we used all natural service with these 3 bulls and one other. Prior to that we used AI for several seasons. I did a pretty thorough search for available sires and only came up with (I think) 38 sires in the US. For a few seasons, we tried several different sires each season, but a comment by someone on these boards (I think it was Hereford.us) made me change my approach somewhat. He said that most people who AI breed to so many different bulls that they can't figure out which bulls really work in their herd. Instead of trying to match each cow to a particular bull, we bred almost all our cows to these bulls' sire. I was pleased enough that we decided to just keep several of his sons to use. We'll see how their daughters turn out, but so far we've been pretty pleased with their half sisters.

gberry those are some really nice looking Bulls. You should be pleased with the lot.

OK Jeanne, where ya been?

fitz

For those wondering a MG growth pattern, type, REA & fat distribution is similar to Angus. They are a breed that originally derived from Angus & white Shorthorn after an accidental joining that kick started the Grey breed we know today as Murray Greys

fitz":3qdvqpgq said:
gberry those are some really nice looking Bulls. You should be pleased with the lot.

fitz
Been suffering through drought since fall of 2010. Many parts of Okla are close to breaking drought; ponds full etc....but not in SW oklahoma. We have down-sized substantially and will do a little more of that. Dodging tornados, wind storms, and family health problems. All this and more irons in the fire than can be attended to means little time for internet visiting recently.

OK Jeanne":3opl4e2z said:
fitz":3opl4e2z said:

fitz
Been suffering through drought since fall of 2010. Many parts of Okla are close to breaking drought; ponds full etc....but not in SW oklahoma. We have down-sized substantially and will do a little more of that. Dodging tornados, wind storms, and family health problems. All this and more irons in the fire than can be attended to means little time for internet visiting recently.

Sorry to hear you've been in a rough row. Every time I think things are bad here I consider the weather you folks have been dealt. I wish you good health and better times soon.

fitz

Good to hear from you again "Jeanne".
Hope things start looking up for you.
I miss seeing pix of your stock on here.
Really, I hope things improve for you.

Good to see you back on hear Jeanne. Hope everything will straighten out so you'll be here more often.

gberry":1i1rptjh said:
Good to see you back on hear Jeanne. Hope everything will straighten out so you'll be here more often.
:nod: Agree, Hope things straighten out for you. I have learned a few tough lessons the past couple of years too. Take care :tiphat: