Murray Grey bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Been a pretty good calving season for me. Mostly bulls.
Got a few I really like.
Thought I'd share one.
Comments welcome.
I'm subject to barn blindness like anybody else.

3/2/15 calf

That is a great looking bull calf!! He is deep through his heart girth and flank. He also has a great back end. Is he the son of Michaelong Canadian Invasion?

Thanks Walnut,
BB, yes.
He'll be one of the very few left that are linked to Roman Invasion and Boadicea that I'm aware of.
2 calves out of the Andamooka bull look very nice so far. 1 bull 3 mos, 1 heifer very late, a week old now.

Well, 3 mos is early to make a determination, but I like the way he looks now.
If he continues to grow out I would like to see him breeding cows.
His Dam is well above average in my mind, and the sire and his line are closer to the type I like to raise.
Only time will tell.
He does look like he would taste good too though. ;-)

And thanks BCG.

cmf1":229icksb said:
Well, 3 mos is early to make a determination, but I like the way he looks now.
If he continues to grow out I would like to see him breeding cows.
His Dam is well above average in my mind, and the sire and his line are closer to the type I like to raise.
Only time will tell.
He does look like he would taste good too though. ;-)

And thanks BCG.

If he grows out to be anything like his sire, it would be a crime to cut him. After looking through my files, I was able to find a photo of the calf's sire, Michaelong Canadian Invasion. He is pictured below.
Michaelong_Canadian_Invasion.jpg

Both Michaelong Roman Invasion and Thologolong Boadicea were mentioned earlier in this thread. Roman Invasion is the sire of Canadian Invasion. Boadicea is the dam of Roman Invasion and several other outstanding bulls that the breed was built off of. Pictures of both Roman Invasion and Boadicea are pictured below. Boadicea is 13 years old in the photo and the calf that she is nursing is Roman Invasion.
Michaelong_Roman_Invasion.jpg

Thologolong_Boadicea.jpg

Workinonit Farm":gcdhccr7 said:
gizmom":gcdhccr7 said:
I really like him, very nice calf.

I do too. Yes, he looks like he would make for some nice steaks, but I think he'd make a good breeding bull as well. That's why I asked. ;-)

Thanks.
I was mostly kidding about the steaks. I like him. But it is a while from here to breeding age.
I try to breed for good sound animals and every now and then it works as well or better than I thought it might.
Personally I think this guy is well above average and will contribute as a breeding animal.
I like to get input and see what other eyes see. I'm terrible critical and nit picky of my own stock

Thanks again.

Oh, how I love those new style MGs out of semen from bulls from the 60's and 70's! Thick, deep and fast growing!
Keep up the good work CMF down in La.
Mojaxcow

A nice hindquarter especially for his age. Wish his sheath was tighter but he's definitely worth keeping a bull and letting him mature some more.

I think MGs would be a lot more popular today if their association hadn't splintered off. Took an already small association and made it into 2 or 3 really tiny ones. One of them proudly featured $5 registration papers when it started, typed on a word processor, not even utilizing a database. How does any promotion and research get done like that?

MO_cows":24l0yir5 said:
A nice hindquarter especially for his age. Wish his sheath was tighter but he's definitely worth keeping a bull and letting him mature some more.

I think MGs would be a lot more popular today if their association hadn't splintered off. Took an already small association and made it into 2 or 3 really tiny ones. One of them proudly featured $5 registration papers when it started, typed on a word processor, not even utilizing a database. How does any promotion and research get done like that?

It really doesn't. It's the breeders themselves that try to gather input and improve their cattle. The MG breeders that I know of are fairly passionate about their herds and have learned not to expect much from the registries. Too much "old guard" politics to advance much.

Doesn't change the fact that the cattle are good doing stock depending on your requirements.

Thanks Katherine.

Gizmon, I expect him to mature just over 50 inches so a 3 to 4.
Same grandsire x same dam produced a bull 2 years ago that is working in Wisconson now and the owner is well pleased with him conformationally and phenotypically.( about 50 inches and very good width and weight, 28 mos.)
His first calves will hit in September I think up there.
I used him for clean up last year before he left for Wi., and have a bull and heifer calf from him that appear to be pretty nice calves so far.
I think this bull calf will be somewhat typical of the Wi. bull with just a bit more frame.

Latest posts