Mummified Fetuses

Help Support CattleToday:

SIMMGAL

Reaction score
Anyone had any kind of experience with mummified fetuses? More specifically, has anyone been successful trying to get a cow to expel one? Was reproductive soundness an issue afterwards? I'm looking for any kind of info, so tell me the good, the bad and the ugly! Thanks in advance!

How long has it been in there?

The smell is going to be something else! :yuck:

kenny thomas":1giys2c5 said:
ez14.":1giys2c5 said:
How long has it been in there?

The smell is going to be something else! :yuck:
If i remember correctly a mummified fetus will not smell. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
"Mummified" might make the difference I guess. But a rotten fetus will stink!

I had a mate with a really sort after cow and she had a mumified fetus, they tried a few things but was going to cost $2000 to open her up and clean it out, needless to say she had her head chopped off.

Redgully":11ejbldp said:
I had a mate with a really sort after cow and she had a mumified fetus, they tried a few things but was going to cost $2000 to open her up and clean it out, needless to say she had her head chopped off.
I think I could do it for a lot less then that!

Seen a couple of times. It seems sometimes it can actually be missed in a rushed palpation. Cow may be called a seven. And still be a seven months later.
Anyway. No stink, it's mummified. I've never done it. But vet told me he could cause here to abort. ( Just the old luyte and dex) and she should be fine....idk...
I went a different way with em

Sounds just right for Neospora. Is that a possibility? They die at about that age if they're going to. Mine have all come out on their own. If you know the size, is it already out or still in there? Several of mine came out at due calving time, for some reason. Some came out at about seven or eight months, all clean and shrivelled. Cows always bred back but with Neospora in the family, gradually got culled. Do a blood test on her, see if she's carrying N. caninum.

18 years being dairy herdsman I have yet to successfully expel a mummy and get cow pregnant. Probably 8-10 head I've tried. Dairy cows I milk top end off them and ship them. Not grad yield tho as they tank cows with a mummy....

Till-Hill":104qyvo3 said:
18 years being dairy herdsman I have yet to successfully expel a mummy and get cow pregnant. Probably 8-10 head I've tried. Dairy cows I milk top end off them and ship them. Not grad yield tho as they tank cows with a mummy....
I just learned something. Are they always tanked when they have a mummified fetus?

kenny thomas":fdqz1okr said:
Till-Hill":fdqz1okr said:
I just learned something. Are they always tanked when they have a mummified fetus?
That's what they tell me. Can't butcher something with a dead calf in it.

Till-Hill said:
kenny thomas said:
Till-Hill said:

Makes sense but never heard it before

Till-Hill said:
kenny thomas said:
Till-Hill said:

well, my neighbor ate his jersey cow that had a mummified calf, she had no temp or anything wrong with her otherwise.. yeah, i'd sure be reluctant to, but it depends on how hungry i am!

Latest posts