MS250 Intake

Help Support CattleToday:

Dirt Farmer

Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS250 that has a horrible air filter. Runs great but I want more power from it. Has anyone fabricated a less restrictive intake or know if an intake/filter from a different model will fit?

Dirt Farmer":mzaetarp said:
I have a Stihl MS250 that has a horrible air filter. Runs great but I want more power from it. Has anyone fabricated a less restrictive intake or know if an intake/filter from a different model will fit?

Before messing with it make sure it has the "H" side adjustment on the carb (some of the EPA saws don't). If it has the red limiter caps they can be pulled with a sheet rock screw and removed. TO get noticeable power open up the muffler, but you will need to turn the "H" screw counterclockwise about an 1/8 of a turn if you open it up. The cylinder exhaust can be opened up (ported), but it has to be removed and ground out. Timing can be advanced, but limited gains and probably not worth it on a 45cc saw. That is about it, just keep the air filter clean and a good sharp non-safety full chisel chain will do wonders. If in good shape (like new)it will sell for close to $200 and can buy a like new MS290 56cc for around $300. Here is a couple I sold recently and I probably have 7-8 of each that I am selling whenever I get them listed sometime this year.

If that saw was mine I would leave it alone and either sell or get a bigger saw to go with it. Also make sure compression is normal as that could be a cause of underpower.

Here was a nice MS250 I just sold.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292857024048?s ... 1561.l2649

Here was a nice MS290 I just sold......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292857070542?s ... 1561.l2649

I've got a MS250 with a 16" bar and it's my favorite saw I've ever owned, it's no 70cc saw but I can use it all day and still stand up straight the next.

Mr. Trent - you wouldn't happen to have any 260's in need of adoption, would you?

cfpinz":1fr8jdbo said:
I've got a MS250 with a 16" bar and it's my favorite saw I've ever owned, it's no 70cc saw but I can use it all day and still stand up straight the next.

Mr. Trent - you wouldn't happen to have any 260's in need of adoption, would you?

I currently have two that my GS put their name on the bottom and have had a couple more nice ones I sold before. If I see a good deal on one in good shape I will let you know. There is a couple I am watching right now that I will make somebody pay for if they go low. These are one of the best saws ever made IMO.

I just sold this one the latest MS261 out with the M-tronic (auto adjusting carb) and all on it. Per feedback this is the best out for the size although the Husky 550xp fans will try to argue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292871702925?s ... 1561.l2649

khcy2ta.jpg

Q362TxZ.jpg

gJDQZRz.jpg

Here is my truck, car trunk, 4-wheeler, tractor saw. This was the latest edition 026 made and in small numbers. It is currently dirty.

dTeozbD.jpg

jltrent said:
cfpinz said:

I currently have two that my GS put their name on the bottom and have had a couple more nice ones I sold before. If I see a good deal on one in good shape I will let you know. There is a couple I am watching right now that I will make somebody pay for if they go low. These are one of the best saws ever made IMO.

I just sold this one the latest MS261 out with the M-tronic (auto adjusting carb) and all on it. Per feedback this is the best out for the size although the Husky 550xp fans will try to argue.

Thanks.

I've got one of the 362's with the electronic carb on it, not impressed by the carb setup to be perfectly honest - I'd just as soon it have a regular carb.

jltrent, Thank you for the response, I was hoping you would chime in. I've already modded the muffler and removed the limiter caps to tune it correctly. The saw is nearly new and seems to have good compression judging by the starter cord. It just seems like the air filter is the biggest bottleneck to flowing more air. It's still a decent saw for the weight.

I have a CS-400(with a more free flowing air filter) that pulls harder and believe I can get more out of the Stihl. If I fabricate a filter, I'll be sure and post pics. If anyone knows a better filter that can be modified to fit a MS250 let me know and I'll give it a shot.

jltrent said:
cfpinz said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292871702925?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

khcy2ta.jpg

Q362TxZ.jpg

gJDQZRz.jpg

Here is my truck, car trunk, 4-wheeler, tractor saw. This was the latest edition 026 made and in small numbers. It is currently dirty.

dTeozbD.jpg

Clean enough to eat your dinner off JL?????

Ken

wbvs58 said:

dTeozbD.jpg
wbvs58 said:
Clean enough to eat your dinner off JL?????

Ken
I rather eat after a chainsaw than a nasty human, not saying sawdust is good though.... :lol:

jltrent said:
Here is a Stihl MS250 I bid off for a $1.25.......

A little TLC as the piston/cylinder was in great shape and it is ready to go. About $40 in parts of which most I had, cleaned the bar with degreaser as just mostly dirty....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-MS250-Chainsaw-16-034-Bar-For-Parts-MS-250-Chain-Parts-Saw-/143028722576?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=KX5E9rxdHUpTrgIONAFSUxyaiSE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Before......
s-l1600.jpg

After.........
wgPc68o.jpg

I flipped the bar over to the right upright position in the second pics as I am a little OCD. A new $8 recoil badge easily adds $50 to the saw.

Latest posts