Mrs Stewart's Bluing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sharp_Ranch

Reaction score
Anybody using Mrs. Stewart's Bluing in their water troughs to reduce algae growth? If so, how much do you add for a 1200 gallon trough? How well does it work?

I used it in a swiming pool a while back to turn the water blue for a party, seemed to me like when it wore off I had a major alge problem, had to shock the he!! out of it to get back to normal!
No facts to link it to the control problem just my observance!

Mrs. Stewart and I turned a siberian husky blue once. Twice as much is not twice as good and eight times as much makes a wonderful blue color that is extremely hard to remove.

Back on the subject, I can't see how this would help since cattle drink so much water the blue would be removed or diluted in no time. JMO Why not just get some goldfish and put in the tank? They work pretty good and will feed on the algae.

This is from their website. Doesn't give any mixing ratio, but it's interesting...

Animal / Fish / Bird Ingestion of Mrs. Stewart's Bluing

A disclaimer: MSB is manufactured and tested as a laundry whitener
only. All other uses are "at your own risk". While we advertise MSB for
some other uses, we try to remain clear that these other uses come to us
from loyal customers and we pass the information on as a public service.

Facts about MSB: MSB is basically a blue iron powder suspended in
water and contains a non-toxic amount of a biocide and pH balancer. Even
in it's concentrated form, MSB is non-toxic, biodegradable and
environmentally friendly. MSB is manufactured under non-sterile
conditions and is therefore, not generally recommended for ingestion by
human or animal.
Over the years, we have had many reports of:

MSB being used in fish tanks and fish ponds
MSB being used in bird baths
MSB being used by farmers in drinking watering troughs
MSB being used by pet owners in their pets drinking water

Customers claim that MSB helps to reduce the algae growth that occurs in
fish tanks, ponds and bird baths, keeping them cleaner longer. Farmers
claim that it reduces distemper and other diseases. They claim that the flies
that carry these diseases won't lay eggs on the water if it is blued. Farmers
also use it to prevent disease in young chicks. Dog-owners have used MSB
to prevent kennel cough and other diseases as well as to keep the noses of
their white dogs from yellowing - particularly with show dogs. Many
veterinarians recommend it to their clients. It is put directly on sores,
insect bites, ring-worm, etc.

Since 1883, we have never received a report of a sick or dying animal
as a result of using MSB in such ways.
However, I must emphasize again that since we have not tested MSB for
any such use, and because it is manufactured under non-sterile conditions,
we cannot recommend it for ingestion. You are "at your own risk" in
using it in this way.

Jogeephus":22cau605 said:
Mrs. Stewart and I turned a siberian husky blue once. Twice as much is not twice as good and eight times as much makes a wonderful blue color that is extremely hard to remove.

Back on the subject, I can't see how this would help since cattle drink so much water the blue would be removed or diluted in no time. JMO Why not just get some goldfish and put in the tank? They work pretty good and will feed on the algae.

Okay...I'll bite...why did you turn the poor dog blue? :lol2: :help:

CottageFarm":1hyfvdpx said:
Jogeephus":1hyfvdpx said:

I guess you have never seen the pics of Jo painting snakes blue or you probably wouldn't ask that question :lol: :lol: :lol:

BLUE is Jo's favorite color

Jogeephus":38j76iyr said:

How much did you sell the rare blue Husky for?

CottageFarm":23vxby90 said:
Jogeephus":23vxby90 said:

It was my first job and I wanted to do a good job. I took pride in cleaning $hit out of dog cages and washing dogs and cats. Anyhow, this was my first week at washing dogs and this solid white husky came in that had yellow stains on his hair. I knew the blueing was a bleach and I wanted the dog to sparkle so I added way too much bluing to the rinse and presto - solid blue dog. And the stuff would not come out. As was pointed out by my dear friend in missouri this must have somehow marked me and traumatized me mentally cause since that time I've been painting lots of things blue. :lol2: :oops: :lol2:

We used it on our 4-H market lambs to brighten their white color. A drop or two in rinse water. One time my son decided that he would just pour it on straight instead of diluting it first! Took about 10 washings to remove the bright blue color! Luckily the lamb show was several days off so it faded more but the lamb was still pretty bright!

I think I will try it in the sheep troughs since algae is worse in summer, we are in a drought, and the egrets eat our goldfish.

You aren't old enough to remember it.
Got faded blue jeans thru a 2nd school year. (now everyone wants faded (and ripped up) jeans)

A few years ago we had a college student employee here wearing a pair of those. I asked him if he bought them like that. He stuck his chest out and said he had. I said "Boy, I've thrown away better pants than those."

Latest posts