Moving Weak Cattle in Water

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
Any ideas how I can move 8 cows 1 mile down the road in 4' to 5' of water? Afraid to push them in deep water because they haven't eaten much, losing condition, and been standing in water for 6 days. Can we some how tow them w a boat? Or is the only way to swim them? Wondering if there is any brilliant ideas out there.

Less than a foot on a levy. They don't have much ground at that height. And doesn't seem like water is draining.

SteppedInIt":1x00nh2u said:
Less than a foot on a levy. They don't have much ground at that height. And doesn't seem like water is draining.

I moved a lot of cows across water in the Armand Bayou country on the old West Ranch. Never for the distances you mentioned. Thought that scares me a cow can get stupid quick.
I think I would haul square bales to
them.

have you got a big enough tractor to drive through the water? if so you could hook your stock trailer to it and pull them out but id tie them in to keep them standing up in the trailer, just a thought

Caustic Burno":ycbfmxhv said:
SteppedInIt":ycbfmxhv said:

I moved a lot of cows across water in the Armand Bayou country on the old West Ranch. Never for the distances you mentioned. Thought that scares me a cow can get stupid quick.
I think I would haul square bales to
them.
This seems to be to consensus. Trying to line up a boat to get square bales out there tomorrow.

MtnCows93":1q16ojqf said:
have you got a big enough tractor to drive through the water? if so you could hook your stock trailer to it and pull them out but id tie them in to keep them standing up in the trailer, just a thought
We don't have tractors near big enough to go that deep here.

My first thought was filling a jon boat with hay and cubes and dragging it in there and leaving it. I'd take cubes to em every day. If the water doesn't start going down take the cubes to the boat and try to lead em out.

callmefence":340rnrog said:
My first thought was filling a jon boat with hay and cubes and dragging it in there and leaving it. I'd take cubes to em every day. If the water doesn't start going down take the cubes to the boat and try to lead em out.
Yeah this may be all I can do. Just dependent on people w a boat.

SteppedInIt":uizqo6jf said:
Staying in that water can't be good.
I have seen them in muck for months in the Salt grass country have also seen them get in the bay to get relief from the skeeters.
Those cows in the Trinity delta country had web feet
The jon boat is s good idea.

Thinking outside the box here. Use an old pontoon boat with a small tiller motor? Float some hay out to them, Maybe a ramp for them to climb on. Panels around the outside. Float two or three out at a time.

SteppedInIt":xs0rbg5b said:
callmefence":xs0rbg5b said:

Man I'll give you a jonboat if can't find one. I'm sure there's enough members between us I bet we could get there pretty easy.

Plastic barrels cut in half,,pieces butted side by side.. Will hold hay and cubes...won't take but a few minutes to throw together..I've cut em with a skill and tie em together...Good luck with them...

Caustic Burno":rqxn3pun said:
SteppedInIt":rqxn3pun said:
Staying in that water can't be good.
I have seen them in muck for months in the Salt grass country have also seen them get in the bay to get relief from the skeeters.
Those cows in the Trinity delta country had web feet
The jon boat is s good idea.
That's good to hear as these may have webbed feet by the time it's over.

ALACOWMAN":2yoodzt4 said:
Plastic barrels cut in half,,pieces butted side by side.. Will hold hay and cubes...won't take but a few minutes to throw together..I've cut em with a skill and tie em together...Good luck with them...
I can do this. Didn't think about that. Thanks.

callmefence":1cd48fkp said:
SteppedInIt":1cd48fkp said:
callmefence":1cd48fkp said:

Man I'll give you a jonboat if can't find one. I'm sure there's enough members between us I bet we could get there pretty easy.
Jonboat is worth its weight in gold around here all of a sudden. Just happened to run into a rescue crew brought me out there today from New York, Arizona and I can't remember the other. Glad they helped me out.

In the photos they seem pretty bright and healthy, a bit tucked up from not eating. All the best at getting them sorted. Not knowing your conditions there but my feeling would be to have them sit it out by bringing them the hay.

Ken

SteppedInIt":2aumbc9k said:
ALACOWMAN":2aumbc9k said:
I can do this. Didn't think about that. Thanks.
Where you able to get feed to your cattle?
Water recede enough to get them out?
I know there was no feed in the area cause we sent some to Buna FFA .

Latest posts