Moving a Building

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Anybody got any experience with this? Neighbor has a building he says I can have if I want it. Measures about 40 X 16, stud frame, walls about 7 feet high. I think it would make a nice little calving barn, surely better than what we have now.( I could make up a fancy name for it, but a rope on a post is what it is :roll: ) The move would only be 3/4 of a mile down a good gravel road. I have access to 2 mobile home axles, and two large beams that would be long enough. Of course I have no way of knowing the actual weght of the building but theirs no way it comes close to a mobile home. One thing I'd like to know is how stout the cross beams would need to be and how many I'd need. Getting a pro in isn't an option as I really could't afford it right now and My neighbor would like it gone fairly soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I saw a program on tv one time where a fella moved a barn by letting the air out of the tires on quite a few wagons, backing them under supports on the barn and inflating the tires. Lifted it enough to move it. Don't know if this helps you but I thought it was cool.

cfpinz

Train":25g23r12 said:
Anybody got any experience with this?

Yes. Dad and my nephew moved in a shed, very similar in size to your's, via trailer. I know it entailed putting supports that would distribute the pressure from the jacks under the corners, then jacking it up high enough that a trailer could back under it, but I don't know exactly how they did that. I'll get back to to you tomorrow night with as many details as I can find out.

Is it 1 or 2 stories, what type of roof material, 16" or 24" on center studs, what is on side's. If single strorie 16" on center studs 5 or 6 heavy beams should do ( more if posible) just go slow very slow. more info would help.

Redneckmatt, it's a single story, cedar shingles,plank siding with some thin metal siding overlaid on one side only. It also has planks on the inside of it as well as on the rafters. There are only three small windows on one side. Owner says there's flax straw in the roof for insulation.I didn't think to look at the stud spacing but I'm thinking probably 16" since it's an older building. It was actually moved to the current site years ago but I haven't had a chance to ask the owner if he remembers anything about the move. He did put in some center supports after it was set up and I'm wondering how I might keep them intact for the move. What's your opinion on the mobile home axles and what is your definition of heavey beams? I'd be hoping to find something large enough in pressure treated beams so I could incorperate them into footings and pilings.

Latest posts