Movies

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
The "True Grit" thread prompted me do do a little research. One thing I found interesting is that of all the great westerns, only three have won the oscar for best picture.

Cimarron 1931
Dances With Wolves 1990
Unforgiven 1992

Others nominated:

In Old Arizona 1929
Stagecoach 1939
The Ox-Bow Incident 1943
High Noon 1952
Shane 1953
Giant 1956
How The West Was Won 1963
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 1969

http://www.genordell.com/stores/western ... estern.htm

Here's a greast site for film buffs:

http://www.filmsite.org

I watched High Noon just the other day. That makes it about a dozen times now.

I didn't like Dances with Wolves, and really True Grit was good to watch once, but only once. I did like Unforgiven, but twice is enough for me on that one also.

Now, High Noon, Shane, the original Stagecoach...those movies I can watch over, and over, and over.

VanC IMO this is a shame some of the greatest movie's ever made were western's.Most of the movie's made to day ain't nothin but trash very few that the whole family can sit down and watch.

rattler

rattler":2ncqrzhj said:
VanC IMO this is a shame some of the greatest movie's ever made were western's.Most of the movie's made to day ain't nothin but trash very few that the whole family can sit down and watch.

rattler

Yup. I don't think the quality of movies is what it once was. Used to be a half dozen or so really good movies put out every year. Now they're few and far between, IMO. Seems like very few of the highly promoted ones turn out to be worth the money. Still some good ones out there running under the radar, but it's hard to find them.

Speaking of which, the wife and I are going to see a movie tomorrow afternoon. We've narrowed it down to Charlie Wilson's War, I Am Legend, and National Treasure 2. Any suggestions?

VanC":2hncj0fg said:
Speaking of which, the wife and I are going to see a movie tomorrow afternoon. We've narrowed it down to Charlie Wilson's War, I Am Legend, and National Treasure 2. Any suggestions?

I heard Natl Treasure 2 was very good, I want to see it on big screen at the theatre too, would be cool!

Gail

VanC":14qglyaf said:
i am legend! that looks like the best. imo.

I watched Flika with Tim McGraw last night with my Grand daughter, was a good movie. She is eight and she really liked it.
i watched flika for the first time last nite. i coulda cried. and i dont cry. it was really good. a little fake. i mean i dont think you can train a wild mustand in 3 nights, but hey, it was still a good movie. with alot of hot cowboys in it. :p

i love westerns. clint eastwoods are my faves. 2 mules for sister sara is my favorite outta all of them.

Haven't been to the movies in years....I only like going to the movies if there are a very few people in there watching the same movie I'm watching. Last time I went, people were on their cell phones. :roll:

If I did go, it would be between National Treasure 2 or I am Legend. I've seen National Treasure on DVD, it was a good movie, so I would think that National Treasure 2 would also be good.

Will Smith is a good actor, I like all the movies that I have seen him in.

Let us know which you select and if you liked it.

Blazing Saddles......... Best scene is the gas-passing around the campfire.

Dick

Hippie Rancher":842pg2wj said:
Best "western" ever: They Call Me Trinity.

And for geeks the Star Wars trilogy was ALL WESTERN.

I thought it was good.

Was'nt it followed up with my name is Nobody?

How about Lonesome Dove?

What was the name of that movie with Clint Eastwood where, after the Civil War, he was being chased by Union Redlegs, got hooked up with an old indian and made thier way to Texas where they took on the Redlegs and beat em?

Dick

icandoit":3f73wy5j said:
What was the name of that movie with Clint Eastwood where, after the Civil War, he was being chased by Union Redlegs, got hooked up with an old indian and made thier way to Texas where they took on the Redlegs and beat em?

Dick

Josie Wales

I watched a movie last week end that is pretty good. It did not do well at the box office. Title "World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins in the role as Bert Monro. Bert was the most determined tenacious person I have ever seen protrayed. It is about him building a fast motorcycle, Indian of course reason for the movie title. Good movie and I think anyone would enjoy it.

dun":11t60v0j said:
icandoit":11t60v0j said:

Dick

Josie Wales

"The Outlaw Josie Wales". One of my favorites.

Wewild":2yjc2b1g said:
Hippie Rancher":2yjc2b1g said:
Best "western" ever: They Call Me Trinity.

And for geeks the Star Wars trilogy was ALL WESTERN.

I thought it was good.

Was'nt it followed up with my name is Nobody?

They Call Me Trinity
Trinity is Still My Name
They Call Me Nobody (with Henry Fonda)

As far as the old spagetti westerns that Clint Eastwood did, I would have to vote for Hang'em High.

John Wayne, I would have to go with either "The Cowboy's" or "The Shootist"

The wife and I broke down and went to the theater yesterday for our wedding anniversary.

Of course, we went to the early feature that is about 1/2 price of the normal tickets. Bought the "deal" on the coke and popcorn and actually came out for less than $20.00.

Went to see I am Legend. Pretty good movie. Will Smith did a good job in it. Several parts that will make people jump. The story plot has much food for thought.

Happy wife and less than $20.00 spent by me, so all is well...... :D

Latest posts