Moved their water

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Yesterday, we did some sorting and rotating so everyone needed to come in. This is easy in the winter when there's no grass and they'll do anything for hay. Yesterday, not so much. One of our new girls is not a follower and bolted across the field never to return. We were able to do what we needed and I decided to one up them and move their water into the corral. I figured this will make things easier in the long run, get them used to going there every day, and teach them it's not an unpleasant place. I penned them all in there except the rebel and let them calm down and eat a bit and see that the water was there before letting them go again. I've seen some of them go in to drink, but there's still a lot of standing around the spot where the water used to be and the rebel seems to be the thirstiest one. The new trough isn't very far from the old one. I figured she'd smell the water or at least see everyone else going in there and figure out what's going on. Is she going to die of thirst instead? How long should I give her before I take her a bucket? I thought I was outsmarting them. Now I feel outsmarted. Or maybe I've been outdumbed...

She'll get thirsty enough to go in there. Probably at night when no one is around. If she doesn't go in, then she's probably not something you would want to have an influence on your herd anyways.

Ryan

2B I accidentally let a cow get out into the yard. She spent four days there. Never tried to run off, but wouldn't go back thru the gate either. Finally after the gallon of water was gone from the bird bath she went back in.....about 4 days in all.

if the corral is the only place she can get water.then she will go in there sooner or later.an she prolly will go in there at nite.an tank up on water.

2B, Give her time and you will prevail. My cows have green pasture grasses and a pond to drink from. They enjoy there daily hay, grain and minerals which are in the corral which they expect daily. You have not been outsmarted or outdumed. Good luck, Tom :cboy:

I have six stock ponds on the home place but I still have a trough in the pen with clean water on an automatic dispenser. It's been my experience that only the alpha female(s) and the bull drink from that water. Its like they guard it and run everyone else off. Never stayed up at night to see what happens so I don't know if anyone else gets to drink or not.

grannysoo said:
Seems that with people and cattle, there is always 1 idiot in the crowd.

quote]
I totally agree with this. Either some idiot made her that way or she was born, genetically, an idiot.
Either way I would get her to the sale barn if you ever get the gate closed behind her.

Latest posts