Moved Meadows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave, way back did you have to level and rock and stick pick these meadows to make them trouble free for baling?

Ken
Hey Ken, level is a loosely used word on these rough pieces of real estate! Top speed was 6 mph yesterday. Most was 4 and this is a smooth field..
They were rotovated way back. We pick the rocks that frost pushes to the surface when we have time and bounce over them until that happens. The brush disappears with brush cutters.

My guess is not Reeds. I have a little of it. Hell for yield but it seems the younger stock can't or won't process it as well as the mature.
I prefer to graze it early and often,

My guess is not Reeds. I have a little of it. Hell for yield but it seems the younger stock can't or won't process it as well as the mature.
Some Reeds, mostly Creeping Meadow Foxtail. It got over mature on us this year with the excessive heat we aren't accustomed to.

If this is in reference to my question I wasn't asking if it was Reeds, I was asking if it's Reed Canarygrass which is different.

Rydero> I was referring to Reeds Canary grass and will stand by my observation in that regard. I have no working knowledge of Reeds.
gcreek said some Reeds and I will yield to him as he was there. Thank you for your horticultural insight. LVR

Thank YOU Lee, in my ignorance I'd never heard of Reeds Canary grass. Just Reed Canary Grass and Reeds.

Catails/bullrushes as well as Common/Flag and Black Reeds are all commonly referred to simply as Reeds around here so when you added an S and dropped a word I was confused if you were referring to Reeds or the grass that looks strikingly like Reed Canary Grass in his pictures. I yield to him as well, I wasn't there.

Screenshot_20210815-203849.pngScreenshot_20210815-204323.png

Serious swamp haying here. Neighbor said he was cutting high to avoid hitting a lot of dead heads. He has never cut this piece before.

I went down into a bog today that had not been cut in 11 years. Tires were dry but they would start to sink in if you stopped. Made six dusty rounds in first gear and then the tractor started to knock...

Serious swamp haying here. Neighbor said he was cutting high to avoid hitting a lot of dead heads. He has never cut this piece before.

I went down into a bog today that had not been cut in 11 years. Tires were dry but they would start to sink in if you stopped. Made six dusty rounds in first gear and then the tractor started to knock...
That's not good. Your tractor will heat really fast in that spongy ground,. takes a lot of extra HP. How bad do you figure it is?

I'm in a bad, bad place right now. At the end of cutting yesterday I went to mark out the next spot and I finally found moisture. Dropped the front wheels into the swamp and couldn't back out. Ground too awful to use the loader forks to push myself back. Probably still 85 F and I had to walk back a half mile to the other tractor.

All I know is the black seeded grass and the cattails are both good to have in dry year when the brome, orchard and bluestem
give out.

Rydero> I was referring to Reeds Canary grass and will stand by my observation in that regard. I have no working knowledge of Reeds.
gcreek said some Reeds and I will yield to him as he was there. Thank you for your horticultural insight. LVR
To be "pacific" it is Reed Canary grass. The old Indians I knew pronounced it Reets Canry.

That's not good. Your tractor will heat really fast in that spongy ground,. takes a lot of extra HP. How bad do you figure it is?
Engine temp was OK, but either I have major mechanical issues or I have fuel system issues.

I am going to assume that bouncing around in the meadow moved some debris. Heard some guys have had to steam clean fuel tanks. Is there an effective treatment for gray bio diesel goop?

Engine temp was OK, but either I have major mechanical issues or I have fuel system issues.

I am going to assume that bouncing around in the meadow moved some debris. Heard some guys have had to steam clean fuel tanks. Is there an effective treatment for gray bio diesel goop?
If it's still able to run take a cut off broomstick out to it and hold it against the block/oilpan in areas close to where you think the trouble is and hold other end against your ear, you'll hear where the knock is. If the knock is on the bottom end see if it has a balancer. I parked my 3010 for a couple years one time because I didn't have time or inclination to rebuild the engine (figured I spun a main), turns out it was the balancer which took an HR to fix.

If you really think it's fuel drain and clean tank as best you can, change fuel filters and use one of the nastier fuel conditioners like Stanadyne (melts a styrofoam cup in 2 sec flat). Might get rid of the crap.

Power Service Bio Kleen and Clear Diesel? Maybe worth looking at.

How have they worked for you ?

Haven't used either of them in particular, just did a quick search as your problem interested me as one I might have myself at some point.

I do use Power Service Diesel Kleen silver and white bottles in my farm tanks. Never have a problem with contamination, water, or gelling but I don't use any bio blends either.

Selling out and fishing for a living is sounding better and better ain't it!😎 To bad your no quitter. Hope it's nothing major. Hard enough to deal with a drought and sell down without having to worry about major repairs or replacements.

Latest posts