Mountain Curs

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealing with Mountain Curs? If so, I would like to hear your likes and dislikes. I have them and hunt them mostly on squirrel and they will tree a coon. mine stay with the stock and love the Grand kids . To me they are the smartest dogs I ever owned but I had a unplanned litter out of some very good blooded dogs and put some adds on line and have not even got a call. I don't know if they have a problem that I don't know about or just where I am located they are not very well know in Oklahoma

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw them gain popularity in the hog dog world a few years back. Had some friends I hunt with get a couple. If I remember correctly they very gritty on hogs and we had an extremely hard time trying to trash break them. You could never really trust them.

None of that really goes against the whole breed IMO and I dont know the history on those dogs specifically. That was just my limited experience. I haven't heard much a about them lately. Haven't seen any around down here either.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Good dogs, just a small slice of the population has need of one. Hunting is disappearing here fast. If it’s been a litter of lap dogs, your phone woulda rung off the hook.

OP
B

BRYANT

Reaction score
I saw them gain popularity in the hog dog world a few years back. Had some friends I hunt with get a couple. If I remember correctly they very gritty on hogs and we had an extremely hard time trying to trash break them. You could never really trust them.

None of that really goes against the whole breed IMO and I don't know the history on those dogs specifically. That was just my limited experience. I haven't heard much a about them lately. Haven't seen any around down here either.
most people around here use Black Mouth Curs or Catahula (not spelled right ??I am a bad speller) both are different from Mountain Curs. My male is such a wimp that if you shoot a squirrel out it better hit the ground dead ,cause he ain't killing it for you he will nip at it to keep it from running off but he sure not planning on letting it bite him

Little Joe

Reaction score
Mountain curs are pretty popular here in Arkansas for tree dogs, there are a few black mouth curs as well. Alot of people who squirrel hunt cross them with a fiest. If I was going to get a tree dog I'd look at a cur.

OP
B

BRYANT

Reaction score
Mountain curs are pretty popular here in Arkansas for tree dogs, there are a few black mouth curs as well. Alot of people who squirrel hunt cross them with a fiest. If I was going to get a tree dog I'd look at a cur.
Mine are tree dogs for sure. I would not have bred this female , because she is young and not what I would call a finished dog, But I had Covid and was in the hospital and my son did not pen her up so I ended up with 8 well bred cur pups , got two left that I need to find new homes for

Logan52

Reaction score
The ones I had were silent on the trail, only barking when they treed. They were meat dogs for the time the squirrels fed the family and the coon hides were sold for income.When they were just pups I turned a coon loose to see if they would be interested. They had him caught and killed within 100 yards of where i let him go within minutes.

OP
B

BRYANT

Reaction score
The ones I had were silent on the trail, only barking when they treed. They were meat dogs for the time the squirrels fed the family and the coon hides were sold for income.When they were just pups I turned a coon loose to see if they would be interested. They had him caught and killed within 100 yards of where i let him go within minutes.
Yes mine are silent on trail but good tree dogs, as far as killing a coon doubt my male would maybe the female?? he is almost to easy going. sold my last two puppies and the guy that bought them was going to use them on hogs ??? I don't know it might work out for him, told him to let me know how they do.