Mountain Curs

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealing with Mountain Curs? If so, I would like to hear your likes and dislikes. I have them and hunt them mostly on squirrel and they will tree a coon. mine stay with the stock and love the Grand kids . To me they are the smartest dogs I ever owned but I had a unplanned litter out of some very good blooded dogs and put some adds on line and have not even got a call. I don't know if they have a problem that I don't know about or just where I am located they are not very well know in Oklahoma

I saw them gain popularity in the hog dog world a few years back. Had some friends I hunt with get a couple. If I remember correctly they very gritty on hogs and we had an extremely hard time trying to trash break them. You could never really trust them.

None of that really goes against the whole breed IMO and I dont know the history on those dogs specifically. That was just my limited experience. I haven't heard much a about them lately. Haven't seen any around down here either.

Last edited:
Good dogs, just a small slice of the population has need of one. Hunting is disappearing here fast. If it's been a litter of lap dogs, your phone woulda rung off the hook.

I saw them gain popularity in the hog dog world a few years back. Had some friends I hunt with get a couple. If I remember correctly they very gritty on hogs and we had an extremely hard time trying to trash break them. You could never really trust them.

None of that really goes against the whole breed IMO and I don't know the history on those dogs specifically. That was just my limited experience. I haven't heard much a about them lately. Haven't seen any around down here either.
most people around here use Black Mouth Curs or Catahula (not spelled right ??I am a bad speller) both are different from Mountain Curs. My male is such a wimp that if you shoot a squirrel out it better hit the ground dead ,cause he ain't killing it for you he will nip at it to keep it from running off but he sure not planning on letting it bite him

Mountain curs are pretty popular here in Arkansas for tree dogs, there are a few black mouth curs as well. Alot of people who squirrel hunt cross them with a fiest. If I was going to get a tree dog I'd look at a cur.

Mountain curs are pretty popular here in Arkansas for tree dogs, there are a few black mouth curs as well. Alot of people who squirrel hunt cross them with a fiest. If I was going to get a tree dog I'd look at a cur.
Mine are tree dogs for sure. I would not have bred this female , because she is young and not what I would call a finished dog, But I had Covid and was in the hospital and my son did not pen her up so I ended up with 8 well bred cur pups , got two left that I need to find new homes for

The ones I had were silent on the trail, only barking when they treed. They were meat dogs for the time the squirrels fed the family and the coon hides were sold for income.When they were just pups I turned a coon loose to see if they would be interested. They had him caught and killed within 100 yards of where i let him go within minutes.

The ones I had were silent on the trail, only barking when they treed. They were meat dogs for the time the squirrels fed the family and the coon hides were sold for income.When they were just pups I turned a coon loose to see if they would be interested. They had him caught and killed within 100 yards of where i let him go within minutes.
Yes mine are silent on trail but good tree dogs, as far as killing a coon doubt my male would maybe the female?? he is almost to easy going. sold my last two puppies and the guy that bought them was going to use them on hogs ??? I don't know it might work out for him, told him to let me know how they do.

i have riverun feist. the line was started with a feist bred to a cur then bred back to some of his granddaughters. more cur has been added back in over the years. they look like miniature curs. the dog in the picture weighs about 30 pounds. i've had a few original mountain cur dogs over the years and the feist are smarter. mine can run with the stock with no problems 99 percent of the time. i have a young female that will occasionally chase but she just hasn't been kicked yet.

Attachments

• DSC02280.jpeg
    DSC02280.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
i have riverun feist. the line was started with a feist bred to a cur then bred back to some of his granddaughters. more cur has been added back in over the years. they look like miniature curs. the dog in the picture weighs about 30 pounds. i've had a few original mountain cur dogs over the years and the feist are smarter. mine can run with the stock with no problems 99 percent of the time. i have a young female that will occasionally chase but she just hasn't been kicked yet.
Now that's a dog! I would love to have one of them. I really like the cur/feist type of dog. I think they are way more useful than hounds overall with less problems.

Now that's a dog! I would love to have one of them. I really like the cur/feist type of dog. I think they are way more useful than hounds overall with less problems.
what part of the country are you in? i'll be crossing him to a female that's a better squirrel dog than him soon. i raise a litter every couple of years.

Good dogs, just a small slice of the population has need of one. Hunting is disappearing here fast. If it's been a litter of lap dogs, your phone woulda rung off the hook.
I know of one other man that still squirrel hunts here with a dog besides me.
Squirrel hunting has died out pretty much here. You don't need 100k worth of equipment to look "good" doing it.

Squirrel hunting has died out pretty much here. You don't need 100k worth
Deer and turkey hunting are becoming the sport of kings here, and you never see anybody rabbit, squirrel, coon hunting etc.

Squirrel hunting has died out pretty much here. You don't need 100k worth of equipment to look "good" doing it.
Still a lot of squirrel dogs in the south
Deer and turkey hunting are becoming the sport of kings here, and you never see anybody rabbit, squirrel, coon hunting etc.
same here. Almost impossible to find a place to hunt small game

I sold my coon dogs years ago.
Mainly coon hunted for dad after he got up in years, he was an avid coon hunter.
I have seen some insane amounts of money change hands at field trails over a dog.
Dad just loved hunting with a dog be it marking my grandmas hogs with a black mouth cur or squirrel hunting with a fiest.

Same here. I've said many times that deer and turkey has ruined the hunting around here. Everyone thinks they're gonna shoot a big one and be famous.

The state of Kansas has a program where they pay landowners per acre to allow public hunting, and fishing if they have a lake or pond. You can get a map and go on thousands of acres of private land. I think it's a good deal, a gov't program that actually works.