Mount Evans in Colorado?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
Have you guys drove to the top before? We were visiting relatives the first of June and drove to Mount Evans but I ended up turning around nine miles up,it's fourteen miles to the top. My wife is scared to death of heighths and that narrow road with no guardrail freaked her out she had her head buried in the center console of the truck. :lol: I will admit it was a little spooky meeting cars on those sharp turns coming down. After that drive trailridge road in RMNP is a breeze for her now.

I have a hard and fast rule about the top of Mountains. If there isn't an Elk to shoot or a really big fish to catch then I do not need to go there.

Been on top of a lot of them and all you can really see is more mountains!

melking":13j5foq1 said:
Way long time ago. I was much younger and it was pretty thrilling.

I agree. I left Ky in 1980 and the Rocky Mtns were a thrill to see on the western horizon as I was headed west. I will never forget that experience. Oddly, I thought they should have been higher.

inyati13":19epm9bd said:
melking":19epm9bd said:

I agree. I left Ky in 1980 and the Rocky Mtns were a thrill to see on the western horizon as I was headed west. I will never forget that experience. Oddly, I thought they should have been higher.
Are you sure?

greybeard":cm8kz9rv said:
inyati13":cm8kz9rv said:
melking":cm8kz9rv said:

Are you sure?
Never be sure of anything! ;-)

3waycross":3e6e5doy said:
I have a hard and fast rule about the top of Mountains. If there isn't an Elk to shoot or a really big fish to catch then I do not need to go there.

Been on top of a lot of them and all you can really see is more mountains!

I feel the same. I haven't been on top of many, and I really don't feel cheated.
I crossed the rockies in my cousin's super Beetle. The west side is spectacular. Even in a Super-Beetle you feel good. On the downslopes, you do sometimes wonder if the brakes will hold.

I didn't go up Mt Evans (not the one in colorado anyhow), I did do Pikes peak... I found that since there is a lot of distance between the peaks and it's not a very rugged terrain, it doesn't seem all that high up... (14000 ft right?) while there are some mountains that at 9000 ft look more intimidating dues to the sheer cliffs, etc

Latest posts