Most economic drench in Australia

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have cattle and sheep, my cattle are growing ok and I have not been drenching at all, it is pretty dry here, but, I am interested to hear from Aussies on what drench may be best bang for buck.....

The normal range of worms....

Also interetsed to hear what is good to manage our common local fly, espec when doi ng calves in confined areas.....

In my area i rotate with invomec and cydectin. But i dont have any worm issues as i have a pretty good paddock rotation that seems to help. I don't worry about fly or tick here either but I'm in a cooler area and we dont have fluke or johnes here, Ken would be better to talk to.

Well I'm not much of a wormer either, never do adult cattle either. Of late I have been I have been doing the calves with Cydectin injectable at around 100kg along with Multimin, 1st 7in1, NLIS tag and ear tattoo. They are at that weight now but haven't even thought about it yet it is beyond dry here, hoping to jag a storm towards the end of this month, might consider it then.
I do usually keep a pouron on hand to cover lice etc late winter and to run over the bulls before sale so I can say they have been done. I usually buy whatever is on special as I am not that interested in the efficacy though I do like to stick to the name brands.

Ken

I prob should give more info, and I suppose the US offerings I could look up ingredients too, but that may not translate to economic here...

I am in mid west NSW, drought, and is dry anyway, no high humidity here.

But I am doing things a lot different too others, I have them all cooped up and feed by hand, lets say the larger ones have a quarter acre each ATM, but my bottle calves are all penned together.

As we are just in spring, flys are bad near the penned calves....just normal house type fly.

My other ones are from 5mths to a year or so, anyway, they are all growing ok, but I often wonder if the younger 5mth ones are doing s as well as they could be in as far as maybe they could perform better if drenched, however, I have not nor prob will not get a worm test done. These ones wont be annoyed by flies.

The bottle calves, being in close proximity, what do you think about them ? They are all eating/drinking and gaining, will give them a 5 in one soon, maybe it is worth a fly and or drench for them, or, would you be inclined to just see who does well as is...

Seeing I have sheep too, would not most of the products cover both cattle and sheep if for flies, and, maybe there is a drench that is ok too.

TIA

Yes, is a concern, and they near all scour due too milk, I do clean up, but I see no alternative, they are all eating well.

I do have a dry feed that has an agent to help prevent that from taking hold.

I feel they will be ok as long as milk and feed taken in and are energetic when up.

I am going to be bringing them out more as well, can also make an ajoining yard so they can rotate.

Being lot fed, probably not a big parasite risk. Worms will be a problem after rain when the infective 3rd stage larvae crawl up the grass shoots to be eaten.

Ken

Latest posts