Most disgusting thing I've ever done

Help Support CattleToday:

Had an experience like that last year. Had an older cow calf and penned her up to get calf going or adopt a calf don't recall which right now but a few days later cow starts acting sick. We gave her some antibiotics and she showed no improvement. Started pushing like she was trying to calf so we lock her up and went in. The calf was dead and essentially turned inside out and rotten. Trying to pull a calf with the most horrible smell imaginable was one of the worst experiences ever. On a positive note I was finally able to get the calf out and the cow turned right around and was back to her old self.

JW IN VA":1ltt8mv7 said:
sim.-ang.king":1ltt8mv7 said:
Irish Spring bar soap and toothpaste, I deal with dead stinky green and blue pigs all summer long, and that will take the smell off.
I almost puked only once when a bloated pig ruptured...let your imagination play with that for a bit.
If it is anything like a ripe dead sheep,I am sorry.
A bad one will almost make you put your hamburger down and pull with both hands.

Bigfoot":164c1w6v said:
When I was just a kid, a neighbor called and wanted borrow our pullers, and my help for a while. I drove the calf pullers over on an XR 75 motorcycle. Not sure I could even do a strange feat like that now. Anyway, when I got there, we hooked on and started cranking. I thought man, this is the easiest pull ever. No, not so lucky. Both front legs were being pulled off the carcass. We both started pukeing.

BF, that sounds disgusting lol

never had a dead, putrefied calf to pull.. lots of RP.. is the smell a whole lot worse? I've kinda gotten used to the smell of RP

Like the guy who had bad gas and had to go to work. Took a spray can of deluxe pine woods scent air freshener to try to mask the issue as it occurred at the office. Got on the elevator by himself and felt a pain. Had gas, pulled out the pine forest scent, gave a good spraying and when the elevator opened at his floor he got off as nothing had happened. He heard two guys getting on and one said, "Phwee, what is that smell? Cough, cough, gag a maggot!" The other one said, "Gosh, I don't know but it smells like someone just took a dump in the elevator who has been eating Christmas trees!"

Dealt with the rotten calf as kid and Vet said due to blue tongue. Don't know if it was the ral problem but do not want to do that again.

I was reading this thread last weekend and it scared the crapola out of me. Our new donors due date was 4/15 and after reading this I was imagining some horrible stuff. We have never had this happen but have always known it was possible. Hearing about it is horrible enough I can't imagine how horrible it had to be for you. So sorry for your loss.

Gizmom

Ebenezer":3jjnbm20 said:
Like the guy who had bad gas and had to go to work. Took a spray can of deluxe pine woods scent air freshener to try to mask the issue as it occurred at the office. Got on the elevator by himself and felt a pain. Had gas, pulled out the pine forest scent, gave a good spraying and when the elevator opened at his floor he got off as nothing had happened. He heard two guys getting on and one said, "Phwee, what is that smell? Cough, cough, gag a maggot!" The other one said, "Gosh, I don't know but it smells like someone just took a dump in the elevator who has been eating Christmas trees!"

Dealt with the rotten calf as kid and Vet said due to blue tongue. Don't know if it was the ral problem but do not want to do that again.

The firs and and hopefully last dead rotten one I ever had to deal with was on a field trip in ag class as a teenager. I haven't forgotten it..makes an impression for sure. There is some stuff you can rub in your nostrils with a banana or vanilla scent to it nowadays. Supposed to help a lot.

I've only been around one decomposing body where Vicks up my nose didn't work. I had to get the fire dept give up a Scott Air Pac for me to finish that one.

I had one a few years ago. I went out early to feed because I had volunteered to take a friend to the hospital that morning. He was scheduled to have a hip replacement that morning. I went to feed a cow who had been penned up. It was still dark out. Something stunk bad. The cow turned and with my head lamp I saw just a head out. I ran and got the calf jack, gloves, and put her in the chute. I was in a hurry because it was 30 miles to get my friend and then 60 miles to the hospital. The calf came out in pieces. Once I got hooked on to the spine the hind quarters came easy but the 5 gallons of liquid that followed them out would have choked a maggot. I had just installed a brand new squeeze chute. All that nasty liquid splashed on my brand new chute. Those dead calves don't pull hard, just nasty. A very quick shower and clean cloths. I continued running. Got the friend to the hospital on time although some speed limits may have been broken.

Had one a number of years ago who started to prolapse, but didnt seem ready to calve. Sewed her up and left her be. Bout a week later she was trying to calve, cut the stitch and let her get to it. No progress.. Went to pull it and turns out the calf had been dead in there likely since the first time she was trying to expel it. Its skin wanted to come off as goo as you grabbed it.

You want to talk about stink. I've seen a lot of gross things in my life, but thats the worst.

Latest posts