Bull buying done......

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We hope.

6 Black Angus
3 Red Angus
2 Charolais

All yearlings, had first pick of Charolais and 4 of the Blacks, bought the other 5 at 2 production sales. They averaged just under $4900

Glad we kept 8 of our own calves as bulls last year. Will be interesting to compare them all once they are home.

I hope we're done too. Won't know for sure until we semen check.
How do you decide what cows the bulls will run with? Are you shooting for F1 calves or straight bred?

gcreekrch said:
We hope.

6 Black Angus
3 Red Angus
2 Charolais

All yearlings, had first pick of Charolais and 4 of the Blacks, bought the other 5 at 2 production sales. They averaged just under $4900

Glad we kept 8 of our own calves as bulls last year. Will be interesting to compare them all once they are home.

Doesn't count without pictures!

Lazy M said:
gcreekrch said:
We hope.

6 Black Angus
3 Red Angus
2 Charolais

Doesn't count without pictures!

They aren't all home yet and won't be for a few weeks.

Red bulls are here. Will get a photo or two of them for you.

SBMF 2015 said:
I hope we're done too. Won't know for sure until we semen check.
How do you decide what cows the bulls will run with? Are you shooting for F1 calves or straight bred?

We don't check until June first so hope we have enough extra now.

Pairs are sorted 3 ways. Black cows, reds and crossbreds, and heifer pairs.

Blacks get black bulls and a couple Charolais. We have run 3 Hereford bulls in this bunch for several years but the results weren't what we desired. Not enough calves to warrant them and the heifers sorted themselves out too early. There were several individuals that made up the three over the last 10 years too.
We will buy the baldies we need since we can't raise them good enough...…… or go to a bit more Gelbvieh blood.

Heifer pairs get yearling R or B Angus bulls with moderate birthweights.

Reds and crossbreds get Charolais, Red Angus, and any black bulls that are left over.

We try to keep the ratio of 6 bulls per 100 cows.

Next couple years are going to be interesting for me as I'll have direct comparisons between a PB bull that I think I'll like, and my own, and I'll be able to see if BW EPD's really pan out.. as far as build, I couldn't be happier with the calves I've got on the ground so far

Latest posts