Morning Suprise

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
My Jersey milk cow calved during the night. She had a small little heifer.
when I went to try to milk her this evening she was pawing at the dirt, butted me a couple of times and also tried to kick me when I went to touch her bag.
I didn't have these problems when she calved the first time. That stuff I can handle.

My biggest concern is the fact that she has not been emptied of milk, nor nursed on her left side. I worry about mastis(sp?). Should I be worried this early?

I luv herfrds":26jn5v8d said:
I worry about mastis(sp?). Should I be worried this early?
You might as well, you'll worry about that or something else anyway

Fairtime014.jpg

Calling her Tutti Fruiti. just fits her.

I would think you ought to get her milked out...is she straight jersey or a cross? I would say more so if she's heavily Jersey influenced and giving a lot of milk-you don't want to lose quarters/have to deal with mastitis/etc. Hitch her up and get er done.

I like them milked out within 24 hours. Usually no earlier than 12 hours though, esp if they might be prone to milk fever (ie older cow).

I beleive that calf is one of "I luv's" herford calves. Definitely doesn't have any jersey in her unless there was a jersey bull in the neighborhood. ;-)

Got to agree with the Herford assessment. You never know though, with the jersey association's genetic recovery program, if that little girl has a registered jersey sire, she can be registered as an OA (original animal) within their registry.

francismilker":216lawt1 said:
Got to agree with the Herford assessment. You never know though, with the jersey association's genetic recovery program, if that little girl has a registered jersey sire, she can be registered as an OA (original animal) within their registry.

That little girl may be part jersey but that's a herford cow she's standing beside.

I thought ILH`s jersey cow never settled to AI so they ran her with one of their beef bulls (herf), the calf does not look like it has any Jersey in it , but she sure is cute. :)

Latest posts