More problems........

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Well, the drought hit us hard this summer. Fed hay from May to first of August. We finally started getting rain and our pasture greened up. Now, we are overcome with armyworms and pasture is worse than ever. Back to feeding hay again. One problem goes away and another starts.

kilroy60":3h95iui6 said:
Well, the drought hit us hard this summer. Fed hay from May to first of August. We finally started getting rain and our pasture greened up. Now, we are overcome with armyworms and pasture is worse than ever. Back to feeding hay again. One problem goes away and another starts.

We've been blessed with rain this year. Put down fertilizer and planted some of our oats before the storms last week. Oats are up grass is green and growing. The moths have shown up though. Sprayer is ready to go and I am checking things every morning. We have the insecticides leftover from last year. A early cold rain stopped them for us.

Yea boy....Kilroy I'm right there with you.
Same here, I found army worms last Thursday and sprayed Sunday hoping that most had hatched. Trying to save what little pasture there is after this drought.
Have them off of pastures for two weeks, feeding hay again and feed.
Had 5 out of 8 calves last week from my heifers. No issues and all doing great.
No rain in the forecast except "possibly" scattered storms over the weekend.
I'm sure hoping to get some grazing before winter.

The boss says we're ate up with army worms. I guess once the grass started growing a little the worms want their share. I'll fix the worms a cocktail up tomorrow.

True Grit Farms":1n5nn87d said:
The boss says we're ate up with army worms. I guess once the grass started growing a little the worms want their share. I'll fix the worms a cocktail up tomorrow.

Never heard of em they must be a lot different from earth worms?

Lol....ya damn right they're different from earth worms! More caterpillar type destructive pest.
They'll eat your grass almost as fast cattle because they out number them, 15-20-25 per square foot.
I may have saved some of what grass is left and I also added weed killer at the same time. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Latest posts