More pictures from Uruguay (PIC ADDED)

Help Support CattleToday:

I would not call them "horrible" toplines. They are what I consider weak in the top for sure.
KNERSIE and I have totally different opinions on type of cattle. I prefer the 2nd bull. I agree with you, the first bull has too much shoulder - and also seems to have too big a head for me.
Where's a pic of the side view of the big butted RA? that's a tremendous rear quarters.

Jeanne
Here it goes
capitan_1.jpg

L

Now that's a big boy! I don't think his topline is great either.

Uruguay is obviously putting a lot of time and effort to advance their beef industry. Perhaps topline is not a consideration for their phenotypical "good bull"? Which leads to to more questions like is topline important?

the cattle arnt bad looking at all.now that yall mention it an i can see a pic better the bull is sway backed a tad.

KNERSIE and I have totally different opinions on type of cattle.

We also farm in TOTALLY different conditions.

Actually I don't think our opinions differ that much on type of the various breeds, if herefords and simmentals are the same type one of them has lost its identity and breed character.

John,

98 % at least is grass finished, not many feedlots down here, there are some but not many and they are small.

This numbers are estimated, 40% under three years, the other 60% four years or more.

Hey P.A.L.

Those are beatiful herefords with great toplines :lol2:

L

P.A.L":1cmb2gwr said:
About the toplines? I think in this pdf file is presented very typical European Hereford type. What do you think about their toplines, expecially the first one?

Link:
http://www.genusbreeding.co.uk/document ... 8_-_HE.PDF

Thanks,

I'm not impressed. I dislike the butt on the first one less then I dislike the butt on the second one and dislike the topline on the second one less then I dislike the topline on the first one

Second pic is much better, perhaps the first was just the way he was standing? The farm bull looks productive. No offense, and I'm glad Herefords are popular there.

Not worry, it will be not fair from my side if I post a picture here and don't like someone else opinion just because is different than mine. And as I said before, I am not an expert, very far from that !!!

I am just someone who enjoys genetics and have invested some money in last generation equipments and hired the best proffesional available down here to provide a good and serious product. It 's the only way a small country like Uruguay can make a name in the international comunity, we may not have the very best genetics, but if we sell what we say we are selling, we have an oportunity, and I am after that oportunity.

At our lab we have produced and transfered during this year more than 2,500 sexed embryos to one of the biggest dairy companies in the world and this is something not many companies have done anywhere, but nobody knows about it, not even here :lol2: why ? because we are small and nobody knows nothing about Uruguay and to make things worst (we) uruguayans are very low profile.

So don't worry, no offense taken, I am open minded and in the last 24 hours I have learnt (here) that North American market wants straight toplines, so I must do my homework and try to fix that, not to try to change your opinion.

Cheers

L

Well Lorenzo I think it is great what you guys are doing and I would imagine that if we looked at all the bulls that everyone in this country uses we could say as much or more that we dislike about them

If all bulls suited everyone and all of them were the same the reg breeders on this forum would not have anything to do

That is part of the fascination with breeding is to see if you can improve upon what is already there and grow the next super bull or hfr .

I am in commercial cows but I still compete with myself trying to grow more beef on the hoof than I did the yr before

I also love hearing about how things are done in different parts of the world it gives us insight of what is really out there

I have never thought of Uruquay as a beef county thanks for opening my eyes to your country it sounds like a place I would like to visit

Lorenzo":2u4ejlyo said:
John,

98 % at least is grass finished, not many feedlots down here, there are some but not many and they are small.

This numbers are estimated, 40% under three years, the other 60% four years or more.

Hey P.A.L.

Those are beatiful herefords with great toplines :lol2:

L
Lorenzo,
I am surprised they take them to that age, but whatever works. They are good pics and good looking cattle. We have a saying in the states: "Pretty is, as pretty does".....in other words if they are good enough to earn their keep, the looks don't matter much. As for the top-lines, if we didn't pick that out, we'd probably be picking out something else. It is always good to get some constructive critisizm and try to improve on what we have, but don't worry about it much.
john

Lorenzo....are you selling semen on the great rear quartered bull? If so, how much for 20 - 30,000 straws. Also, does your country have an online hereford database?

Well, we can be "picky" about the toplines, but you have posted some of the best, heaviest muscled bulls, posted here. What does that RA bull weigh - to give us an idea of frame size. American cattle could use some of that muscling -- IF -- it doesn't cause calving difficulties.

Latest posts