moral road vs legal road

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
This evening I got a call from one of my customers she asked me could she get out of the contract we were in and get her deposit back. I asked her why is the work not to your liking or something wrong? she said no her husband was layed off today and that money whey will need to help make their mortgage. I said ma'am let me think about it and I will call you back in 20 minutes. I got off the phone thought about It and called back. I said ma'am I will refund your money back for the deposit and everything but informed her that she will need to sign the contract saying its void etc. I told one of my friends he said man you should have finished the work and put a lean on the house. I said man no way I would do that when someone's already kicked in the teeth. Some people just have no heart at all. I went to the customers house with the money and she showed me the letter stating he was laid off and today was his official last day etc. I felt bad I didn't even charge for the work I had already done. Has anyone else every had to choose the legal avenue vs Moral avenue ? My friend told me you can't have to much heart while running a business or else I won't be in business that's a good point as well. What would yall have done in that situation ?

I had to get out of rental property. I couldn't bring myself to evict anybody. It was like I was running homeless shelters. I still have one left. Had the same guy in it for 17 years. Maybe longer.

jedstivers":1rfjmxhj said:
First I'd do as you did.
Second if I could use another man I'd ask if he wanted to work.
Third I'd get another friend.

Yea, I would have asked if he wanted a job but to put it nicely he is not physically able to do the kind of work we do. Yes, I tell you sometimes people you have known for years will surprise you with the stuff that comes out their mouth.

skyhightree1":3368feq6 said:
This evening I got a call from one of my customers she asked me could she get out of the contract we were in and get her deposit back. I asked her why is the work not to your liking or something wrong? she said no her husband was layed off today and that money whey will need to help make their mortgage. I said ma'am let me think about it and I will call you back in 20 minutes. I got off the phone thought about It and called back. I said ma'am I will refund your money back for the deposit and everything but informed her that she will need to sign the contract saying its void etc. I told one of my friends he said man you should have finished the work and put a lean on the house. I said man no way I would do that when someone's already kicked in the teeth. Some people just have no heart at all. I went to the customers house with the money and she showed me the letter stating he was laid off and today was his official last day etc. I felt bad I didn't even charge for the work I had already done. Has anyone else every had to choose the legal avenue vs Moral avenue ? My friend told me you can't have to much heart while running a business or else I won't be in business that's a good point as well. What would yall have done in that situation ?

Some folks would call you a fool.

I will not.

It will come back to you.

Bez

snake67":3pkislku said:
skyhightree1":3pkislku said:

Some folks would call you a fool.

I will not.

It will come back to you.

Bez
You did the best thing for both of you. :clap:

I think you did the right thing, and if they were as honest as you they will resume whatever contract you had once he gets back on his feet. I guarantee that they will remember this and give good recommendations on further jobs. As long as your both satisfied then be happy about it, not too many people would've done the same thing.

Thanks I appreciate the comments... I gotta tell you his comments made me question myself as a businessman and bothered me.

I think you did the right thing. Would you have been happy with yourself had you forced them stay in it? I don't know how much money is involved but efforts to make them live up to the contract could cost quite a bit.

Canceling the contract for work not completed would have been more than fair. Not charging them for the work you have done is compassionate since you are personally paying for the man hours and materials invested. That is above and beyond. Compassion and fair are two different categories.

I use to believe that generosity in business would pay dividends. I don't necessarily believe that any more. I do think being fair does.

Compassion/charity/giving to those in need or whatever you want to label it, is noble and an inherently good act. But you can only give what you have. If a business is not successful or not fair to itself, it will not exist to perform the services for the community it set out to perform.

Keep business transactions fair, expect payment for fair services provided. But in those uncommon situations that occur and you have the ability or are compelled to personally give, continue to do so. I think it is important for a healthy business to distinguish between them.

skyhightree1":4bowf3oz said:
Thanks I appreciate the comments... I gotta tell you his comments made me question myself as a businessman and bothered me.

I already commented about this, and it being a decision not of business practice but of benevolence. To add something to consider, as a business, any charges you do not capture from failure to invoice or from discounting, it takes something like 5 times the value in new revenue to regain the loss of the missed or discounted charges. Because for each new service performed, you have to account for man hours and materials that figure into to costs to provide that service and since most businesses function on about 20% profit.

jedstivers":32sk653g said:
First I'd do as you did.

I agree. You are hanging around some foul people giving you advice like that. I'd be ashamed to call them friends.

CF makes sense. I recently added a new division to my business umbrella " Stamped Concrete " and Honestly do not have the money established in that portion of the business to take any major losses luckily we had not poured the concrete or I would not have been able to refund any $. I am only out of fuel costs and labor costs. I do feel they will call me back if and when they are financially able.

Jo I agree that was pretty bad I say a friend but more like a business acquaintance. He is a builder and I do a substantial amount of work for him I disagree with his ethic but unfortunately I can't bite the hand that feeds me.

I would have done the same. Me and my family whent through some very bad times in 2009 and 2010, I know how it is to be in really bad shape and I try to do everything I possibly can for struggling people. Your friend has just had it to good for to long if he thinks you did wrong.

I agree cause I almost lost everything had it not been for my wife. I had to sell new equip I had bought big house payment and struggled so I truly understand how it is to be in a low spot it is a humbling situation.

Jogeephus":2isdbuda said:
jedstivers":2isdbuda said:
First I'd do as you did.

I agree. You are hanging around some foul people giving you advice like that. I'd be ashamed to call them friends.

Me Three...
What you did doesn't make you a fool, it makes your "friend" an a$$.
Sometimes doing the right thing comes back to bite you, but it doesn't hurt so much when you can still look at yourself in the mirror.
You did the right thing....nuff said. You know where your "friend" stands, keep that in mind for future reference.

Commercialfarmer":yoajq4v2 said:
Canceling the contract for work not completed would have been more than fair. Not charging them for the work you have done is compassionate since you are personally paying for the man hours and materials invested. That is above and beyond. Compassion and fair are two different categories.

I use to believe that generosity in business would pay dividends. I don't necessarily believe that any more. I do think being fair does.

Compassion/charity/giving to those in need or whatever you want to label it, is noble and an inherently good act. But you can only give what you have. If a business is not successful or not fair to itself, it will not exist to perform the services for the community it set out to perform.

Keep business transactions fair, expect payment for fair services provided. But in those uncommon situations that occur and you have the ability or are compelled to personally give, continue to do so. I think it is important for a healthy business to distinguish between them.

I can't argue with commercialfarmers point on this from a business standpoint. However there are things that are more profitable than monetary gains and peace of mind is definitely one of those things. You are a kind and compassionate man SkyHigh, the world could use a few more like you. You sleep well tonight sir and don't give up on that buddy of yours, he's watching and maybe he's learning .

Latest posts