Moooving cows (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, we are done the majority of calving, whats born is branded and vaccinated (except for a few new ones) the cows are vaccinated. And the big sort is done. Cows went 3 different ways, still have to sort them again when the bulls go out, but the hard part is done. Here is one of the bunches on the way out to pasture for a couple weeks, before the big bunch gets onto trucks for the 2 hour trek north for the summer.

heading down the road.
goingdowntheroad.jpg

Keeping them moving
downtheroad.jpg

Son and Miss Molly, doing their part. Finally got him on her (he'd rather use the dirtbike)
keepingthemmoving.jpg

matthewmolly.jpg

Oooooh MY GOD, A BRIDGE. Actually they are not too bad about it any more. But we have had some fun times at these bridges ;-) :x
ontothebridge4.jpg

Made it across the first one, and onto the next.
acrossthebridge5.jpg

Across the second, and.....their OFF!
downthehighway2.jpg

Wonder where these girls learned the rules??
downthehighway1.jpg

Whoops, on the wrong side. A 2 year old and her calf
downthehighway3.jpg

Along the creek, they are almost where they are going
bythecreek.jpg

wow thats neat. nobody around here does that. looks like it might be a little bit easier then having to load and use a trailer.

Nice pictures. How far exactly is it you have to take them?

The most Ive seen anyone do around here is across the road, maybe 50 feet to the next gate. Pretty much everywhere Ive seen have all their pastures together so they dont have to leave the property.

This bunch only had to go about 2 miles. In a couple days we will move them another 4 or so. 6 miles on a warm day is pushing it for the little calves. Heck, today it was a bit much for some of the older ones. But, that is pretty short compared to some treks around here. My uncle(and others) trails his about 12-15 miles. Much easier than trailering 80 head to pasture that is 2 miles away. The vehicles just push through them, or we will move the cows off the road if they are going the same way as we are.

Nice pics, brings back memories. I stopped moving cattle down the road about 5 years ago. Got to be to much traffic, city folk getting in the way. :roll:

mnmtranching":m9puwpu6 said:
Nice pics, brings back memories. I stopped moving cattle down the road about 5 years ago. Got to be to much traffic, city folk getting in the way. :roll:

We are fortunate in that way. Not much traffic (especially on Sundays) and not likely to get much busier. The way things are right now everyone is leaving this country for the city or Alberta.

You should sell tickets to the city slickers, make some money letting them be on real live cattle drive.

Your nitch could be that they can go on and old west cattle drive and never have to leave their Toyota Camry :lol:

randiliana":3dh8lllm said:
mnmtranching":3dh8lllm said:

We are fortunate in that way. Not much traffic (especially on Sundays) and not likely to get much busier.
  • The way things are right now everyone is leaving this country for the city or
Alberta.
he11 i wish that were the case here.city folks mov'in to the country drivng land prices through the roof .you drive cattle down our roads like that. the sheriff would be knock'in at your door... like your pictures ;-)

We get two see that every spring and fall with two separate herds.One is small about twenty cow/ calves that go to rented pasture only a 2 mile walk but the other is a big operation about 300 cow/calf pairs and those gilrs have a 10 mile walk to their new pasture.I always like to watch it when they go by everyone on horseback except the lead vehilcles that close gates on properties and block roads off.Am looking forward to seeing it again in the next couple of weeks if the snow stays away.Oops forgot the neighbors they move their cows that way too about 4 miles to property by the river.
One time we even had friends over when they were moving cattle they thought that was the darndest thing and couldn't believe people actually did that;thought it was only on t.v. :roll:

randiliana":vpk81k61 said:
We are fortunate in that way. Not much traffic (especially on Sundays) and not likely to get much busier. The way things are right now everyone is leaving this country for the city or Alberta.

Alot of beef farmers are selling here and moving to Saskatchewn and going stritly into crop farming because they can buy a couple sections of good land all in one peice.So then you get the city people who are now rolling in money buy next to you and complain that your cows smell;some people are so dense.

Around here the cows walk. Unless it is a really long trip, and even then some people will trail for 2 days. There are several ranchers that trail their yearlings into the stockyards in the fall as well. Some of those are 20+ miles. It is funny when you get the occaisonal tourist going by. They stop and take pictures, or will follow happily behind for a couple miles before it gets old ;-) . The locals either push through or take the ditch/field if they are in a real hurry. Never know what you will meet up with on the highways around here, at least until the crops are up.....

Latest posts