Moon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1xe2g35d said:
First Christmas Moon since 1977

I'm not very sharp today obviously - read this elsewhere too. How is that possible? After all, a full moon happens every 28 days, so logic would suggest every 28 years a certain day would fall on it. Do the leap years screw it up?

Watched the moon rise at the same time as the sun set this evening - both were spectacular, in an ordinary way. Took photos of both.

TexasBred":283rzxts said:
It was like daylight outside here at midnight. Pretty awesome sight.

TB, I'm sure you were up looking for the milk and cookies.

regolith":nrle456n said:
Jogeephus":nrle456n said:
First Christmas Moon since 1977

I'm not very sharp today obviously - read this elsewhere too. How is that possible? After all, a full moon happens every 28 days, so logic would suggest every 28 years a certain day would fall on it. Do the leap years screw it up?

I'm in the same boat. The moon's cycle has always puzzled me. Not to argue but from full to full its not 28 days but 29.5 days. What's weird is it takes the moon only 27.3 days to orbit the earth so none of this really makes much sense till you realize in the time it takes the moon to orbit the earth once the earth has traveled 45 million miles around the sun and the moon spends 2.2 days playing catch up. Talk about something that will make you dizzy just thinking about.

All I know is the next Christmas moon will be in 2034 because that's how some smart person has it figured. We will also have a Blue Moon this year on May 21, 2016

Latest posts