Moon Phase Change

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
OK, some of you must go by the moon phases. Tonight will be a new moon. I was told that the heifer will have her calf tonight. Her due date is February 14th. The other heifer had her calf a week early, and they both were AI'ed. I guess since we have become an entertainment site, we could start taking bets too! :lol: Just kiddin' Macon!!

I hope one of you is right! I have one cow that has been due "any day now" for the last 3 weeks according to the vet. Not sure what she is waiting on but if she gets any bigger I'll have to widen a few gates.

royB":32crbllw said:
I hope one of you is right! I have one cow that has been due "any day now" for the last 3 weeks according to the vet. Not sure what she is waiting on but if she gets any bigger I'll have to widen a few gates.

She's probably waiting for the weather to really get crappy

dun

I have one that looks like she is gunna pop! It has been raining for the last 2 days, I figured she would have dropped it but I guess she might know the weather will get worse :lol:

I wish I had paid more attention to my Grandma when she was alive, she did every aspect of her life according to the moon. Planting, canning, butchering, and could predict stuff. It was kinda scary. But as I remember I think the full moon according to her was a good predictor of births.

It has been in the 50's for the last few days. 9 ER, I think you just put a hex on me! :lol: I hope she has it tomorrow night since it is my night off. I hope the temps hold.

I say she'll calve during the day.. say.. Thursday, while you're at work. You'll come home and find the deed done, and a nice healthy (bull? heifer?) calf. :)

I hope you're right about the moon, as there's about six of the girls ready to calve at the moment.

Figure it's better tonight as the weather is right around zero and the wind has died down.

Wishful thinking as I'm sure they'll just cross their legs and wait until another half dozen are ready to calve with the next snowstorm or mercury drop. Then it'll be calves galore!

Take care.

royB":2o24jiq6 said:

Problem is that you had your vet palpate your cattle.

The heifer didn't have it last night, but the day isn't over. She has a large amount of white discharge this morning. I am changing clothes to go stick around for a bit. Then figure out what is going on. I read somewhere that when you feed the cows at night, a large percentage calve in the day time. I am not sure if I read it here on this forum or in another book. It stated that if you fed in the area of 7-8:00 at night, they would wait till the next day to have them. I am going to see about that theory now. I have not given up on the moon deal yet.

That late feeding deal was discussed a while back on this forum. We feed (when we do feed) after 5 pm and most of the calves are born between 6am and 2pm. Haven't had a night born calf in 4 years. Of course now that I've said that they will all calve at midnight

dun

I couldn't remember where I read it. Looks like 9ER is going to come out the winner on this one since tempatures are dropping from the 50's to the 20's. I do believe the cat in the picture ate her share and someone else's too!

Workinonit, she hasn't had her calf yet. She must be reading all the symptoms of oncoming labor, then acting it out. She must watched Jerry Sienfeld when Cramer had the job at the hospital acting diseases for the interns. Her udder is swollen up along her stomach at this point. I am sure she is waiting for me to be an hour late because of work. She should wait since I have spent so much time checking on her. She is having some kind of aches. I gave more for this cow than I normally would. And she is a very gentle cow, so, I guess this makes her special.

Latest posts