Monday's Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

cowman30":sv60obri said:
1982vett":sv60obri said:
Wednesday's Sale Barn

It is prices like that why I sell all my culls as either freezer beef or shoot the older problem cows. Last time I took a cull cow to town she brought 30 cents a pound. By the time you factor in fuel, my time, and what not it wasnt worth it. Would have just been cheaper to shoot her and bury her with the neighbors back hoe.

These were not necessarily "culls" as much as they were less favored cows. Had we an average rainfall pattern, none of them would have been sold at this time.

Freezer beef is not my cup of tea either.

cowman30":2evnkc9w said:
1982vett":2evnkc9w said:
Wednesday's Sale Barn

3 - 6 year old bred brangus cows 5, 6 and 8 months bred averaged $560. Weight average 1340. (Thought they would do a little better than this.)

1 - 6 year old bred braford cow 7 months bred weighing 1275 brought $475. (Really a disappointment. I though she would be a hot item.)

1 - 2 year old first calf brangus, 3 month old black baldie calf, weighing 980 lbs together brought $850. (Real nice surprise)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, month old calves, weighing 1345 brought $825 each. (Better than expected.)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, split with one month old calve and one 2 month old calf. Cows average weight 1035 brought 42 cents ($435). The month old calve weighing 165 brought 1.525 per pound ($251.63) and the 2 month old weighing 225 brought 1.03 per pound ($231.75). Averaged together as pairs they brought $679.69. (Not as good as the others. Basic flaw was their bags, they started to blow last year. Didn't look to bad this year but this was expected. Calves brought more than I had expected.)

Then 2 poorly cows. Neither seemed to be able to gain weight after their last calf. One raised a good calf and should have another in a month or so. The other didn't do so well with her last one and got one more shot. She had a calf last week, a little tiny thing that bought her a trailer ride today. They each weighed 945 lbs and brought 36 1/2 cents.

Gave the little black baldie calf to a neighbor that has some nurse cows. Calf probably weighed about 55 lbs. Spunky little thing, you ladies probably would have loved him and though he was cute. :pretty: :kid:

2 black steers averaged 400 lbs brought 95 1/2 cents.
1 angus heifer weighed 435 lbs brought 75 cents.

Some were a disappointment and some were better than expected. Overall they did better than my worst case scenario.

Looks like, for now, pairs are doing pretty well. Just about any thing less than 7 months bred goes to slaughter. Heavy breds would probably make some money in a month or two.

It is prices like that why I sell all my culls as either freezer beef or shoot the older problem cows. Last time I took a cull cow to town she brought 30 cents a pound. By the time you factor in fuel, my time, and what not it wasnt worth it. Would have just been cheaper to shoot her and bury her with the neighbors back hoe.

Your time must be a lot more valuable than mine. I can go to a good bit of trouble for $300. Besides that, I don't enjoy shooting them that much. Of course the neighbor's backhoe is free to YOU but not him.

Latest posts