Moldy feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Always been told not to feed moldy feed. Bought some calf starter and it was molded, they gave me grief returning it like it was no big deal to use it. I refused to feed it but wonder what the side effects of it would be?

They may eat it and it may not hurt them. But when you bought it you did not pay for moldy feed. They owe you for what you paid for.

novatech":3u4rw4fl said:
They may eat it and it may not hurt them. But when you bought it you did not pay for moldy feed. They owe you for what you paid for.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Side note: Whether it will hurt them or not, I surely don't like to take chances. I was told not to feed moldy feed ever...ergo, I don't. And, my persnickaty animals won't eat moldy feed anyway, thank goodness.

Alice

Alice":2rq3vv6g said:
novatech":2rq3vv6g said:

I agree wholeheartedly!

Side note: Whether it will hurt them or not, I surely don't like to take chances. I was told not to feed moldy feed ever...ergo, I don't. And, my persnickaty animals won't eat moldy feed anyway, thank goodness.

Alice
I wouldn't feed it either. Why take a chance on the investment?
Funny how cows know what's good or bad. I have seen them eat around the moldy chunks. Never figured out how they do that.

Tom,

As for "calf starter" I wouldn't feed it either and would get my money back or feed that wasn't moldy.
But I have feed some of the moldiest nasty looking feed, hay and corn fodder you would ever want to see and it has never hurt a cow or calf.( including moldy wood chips)
I've feed stuff to cows that I know for fact would kill a horse and the cows ate it with no ill effects.
SL

I agree.. I'm betting you could feed it with no ill effects, but why would you? The feed store should have sold you a good bag, regardless of whether the cows would eat it or not. Or given you the moldy feed for free.

I went thru this a few months ago. I had bought 50 bags of range cubes. Never having a problem with this company's feed before I really never checked.
I went out to put 3 bags of cubes. I just take them and spread them on the ground. I already had 2 bags opened and out. When the pets came up for their hand feeding. I opened the bag and looked in. Mold was everywhere. I started watching the cows and they would not eat the moldy ones ,so I started picking them up . I called the feed store ,they said to bring them back. They replaced all 50 bags of my cubes and credited 25.00 dollars to my account for the gas.
You did right returning the calf starter. Shame on the company for giving you grief.

I think everyone agrees about the moldy feed.

In my opinion, the real issue here is that it's time to change feedstores...............

I would want what I paid for also, but as far as feeding molded feed. They will eat it. I Bought 80 bags of 14% all grain 2 weeks ago, from the local co/op for 2.50 a bag. My heifers eat it like candy. It's so expensive I guess the horse people wouldn't buy it, so it got old and molded. I wish I could buy another ton or so.

Never got moldy feed from the feed store. Wouldn't expect them to sell feed like that. Having said that I have fed moldy range cubes that got that way sitting in my barn and the cattle didn't even bat an eye eating it. And there were no adverse effects on them.

It has been my experience that there is at least one feed supplier whose product seems to mold more than others. I won't say the name of that company but I now use Purena and it has been pretty good about lasting. And they don't advertise they use "animal protein" in the analysis like the "other" company.

Most of the larger feed companies use a lot of preservatives in their feed to entend the shelf life. If you buy from a smaller company you probably run more risk of moldy feed.

I have heard that there is a mold in hay, (maybe is pink, I don't know; don't get stuck on that), that will cause late term abortions. Does anyone know anything about that?

tom4018":3tjdblvm said:
Always been told not to feed moldy feed. Bought some calf starter and it was molded, they gave me grief returning it like it was no big deal to use it. I refused to feed it but wonder what the side effects of it would be?

Moldy hay is one thing, moldy grain is quite another. I'm afraid I'd have raised hell all the way to the top over moldy calf starter.

I have gotten moldy creep feed at times, but the feed store usually makes good on it. And there has not been any bad problems as a result of me feeding it. Same with mold in the hay; some of mine has had that greyish mold to it at times, but never had any adverse affects from it. Usually if its the hay, its only just a portion of a roll; never the whole roll.

Tom. Check the tag on that feed. Bet the manufacturer even has a warning on it about never feeding moldy feed. Guess it's just a matter of principal but you did right if you took it back. Now find another store that will stand behind their product and appreciate your business regardless of how big or how small a customer you are.

Latest posts