moisture tester

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
you read all the tips on harvesting hay. right conditions, bailing at 16-18% moisture. Tedding the hay, making sure it dries correctly. cutting it in the morning so the sugar content is at it's highest. Yet 99% fo people I have asked either don't know what a moisture tester is or don't use one. My question is if your hay you are bailing is 22% moisture, do you re rake,tedder, or just wait for mother nature to dry it out more. If it is so important, why don't more people use one. Most guys cut one day, let sit the rest of that day, rake the next day, and then after it sits one day to dry, bale the next day. I have also read where it takes at least 3 days to dry hay, NOT HERE. It would be so dry you would lose most of it if you waited that long for it to dry. Comments

Variables;
Type of forage
Density
Humidity
Weather
Ground moisture
Etc.

When you don,t have the experiance go with technology till you get the experiance.

plbcattle":225eultk said:
It would be so dry you would lose most of it if you waited that long for it to dry. Comments

This is why alfalfa is generally baled according to dew levels. When done correctly, the dew raises the moisture level enough to keep the leaves on, but not so much that the hay molds following baling.

Latest posts