25% moisture hay

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
This spring has been crazy here in SW Michigan. We can't get 4 days without rain. My first cutting over memorial day was about the best window, but even then it still tested high at 25% or so. I've had this hay in my barn now for a few weeks and I'm seeing a little bit of mold in spots - not too much. Any issues with fire or with the cattle eating it?

Yes, both mold and a fire hazard if it was not baled with preservative or unless bale plastic wrapped to limit oxygen
with intent of producing "balage". We wrap wet round and large squares.

I would think if its gonna catch fire it will do it 1 to 2 weeks. IMO

That could be true. We had one to burn down when I was a kid....we filled it with square baled hay that was green and heavy and it took only three or four days to catch fire.
If in doubt get a composting thermometer about 16 inches long and see how high the temperature gets for a few days.

These are twine wrapped grass hay rounds. Sounds like I should move them outside and tarp them? Will they dry down if protected from the elements? They are in my barn in a 2 by 2 row, with the bottom 2 turned on their end.

NonTypicalCPA":2mguy6u2 said:
These are twine wrapped grass hay rounds. Sounds like I should move them outside and tarp them? Will they dry down if protected from the elements? They are in my barn in a 2 by 2 row, with the bottom 2 turned on their end.

Get them outside and let them 'sweat out' for a month at least. Do not tarp them (will hold even more heat in) and leave air gaps between each bale.
Edit to add: they're not going to dry down much now, just going to heat up for awhile while all the chemical/biological reactions occur. Will have some mold and wont be the greatest hay, but cattle will eat it. You will probably notice the bales squatting down out of round after a month or so.

OR increase insurance coverage :)
Once baled they seldom dry enough to matter. Bball is right about getting them outside with enough space to walk
around each. Good Luck, but with that high of moisture content I expect the centers will turn to inedible manure.

Getting them outside and separate will help with airflow and reduce the temps. All hay will rise in temperature for a while, but extremely wet hay has more of a chemical reaction that produces gasses that can combust as low as 160 degrees. Hay that has less than 15% moisture has little chance of combusting. Above that, you should watch it and at 20% moisture, you can start to have a real problem. You can drive a steel pipe into the rolls or bales and let it sit for there for about 15-20 minutes. If it is too hot to hold after that, you need to get the hay outside and monitor it. I believe they also make a probe thermometer that can be used.

The guy that rolls mine has a baler that constantly monitors the moisture content of the hay. Hayledge does not have this problem because the plastic keeps out the oxygen.

Edit: I found this link https://www.farmanddairy.com/top-stories/how-to-prevent-hay-fires/415615.html

Critical temperatures:

125 F — No action needed
150 F — Hay is entering the danger zone. Check temperature twice daily and disassemble stacked hay bales to promote air circulation to cool the hay.
160 F — Hay has reached danger zone. Check temperature every couple hours and disassemble stacked hay.
175 F — Hot spots or fire pockets are likely. Alert fire services; stop all air movement around hay.
190 F — With fire service assistance, remove hot hay. Be aware that hay could burst into flames.
200 F or higher — With fire service assistance, remove hot hay. Most likely a fire will occur; Be aware that hay could burst into flames.

just keep feeling them.. if they get so hot you can't put your hand inside them take them out.

Banjo":1umc6uuw said:
That could be true. We had one to burn down when I was a kid....we filled it with square baled hay that was green and heavy and it took only three or four days to catch fire.
If in doubt get a composting thermometer about 16 inches long and see how high the temperature gets for a few days.

A steel rod work work too you just have to pull it out and check it by feel.

I had driven a steel rod into one of the bales last night and just checked it this morning. Warm but not hot to the touch. I'll keep sampling bales and see if I find any hot ones. I do have two barn fans moving air so that will help.

I just put a moisture meter on my round baler so these numbers are pretty accurate, although when I was baling I wasn't believing the moisture meter. The first hay I baled averaged 24% moisture I didn't believe it was that high but I still left it on the bale wagon and parked it in the shed overnight. The following morning it was heating and sweating pretty good so I wrapped it. The next field I baled was reading 20% and I hoped I could keep it for dry hay but I knew it was too wet to stack in the barn. I left it set out for over a week and it just kept getting hotter and hotter and had a rotten smell. I finally hauled it away and used it for erosion control. I baled a bunch that read 13-14% and I stacked it away immediately. It didn't heat at all.

I'd be scared to death having hay stacked in the barn at 25% moisture. I'd really keep a close eye on it.

NonTypicalCPA":x4q3x1jy said:
I had driven a steel rod into one of the bales last night and just checked it this morning. Warm but not hot to the touch. I'll keep sampling bales and see if I find any hot ones. I do have two barn fans moving air so that will help.

In my old dairy barn in the mow there was a 4' x 4' duct built down the center of the barn. There was a 48" industrial fan with a 5 hp motor attached to the end. We would stack the small squares around the duct and run the fan on them for a few hours a day for a week or so to blow out any accumulated heat. Made some fine dairy hay.

NonTypicalCPA":3jpoasyq said:

Are you seeing any caramalization in the centers of the bales? Sugars will sometimes caramelize and the centers will smell like chewing tobacco. Am told this really knocks the food value of the hay but the cows really seem to love it.

Latest posts