MO. DOT checking gas tanks at sale barns....

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
I saw about a week ago the DOT showed up at the Springfield, MO. stockyards and anyone pulling in driving a diesel had their tanks tested for red (off road) diesel. If you had it in your tank you got one heck of a ticket.

Just a heads up if your using it in your farm truck and plan a trip to a sale barn cause I bet if they are going to do it here other states may get the idea and do it as well.

J

They've been wicking tanks here for a good while at the sale barns. They will even resort to checking the fuel filter if they suspect you are burning red fuel.
I used to run red fuel all the time, my truck likes it better. That fine is pretty heafty and no one seems to beable to come up with a time frame that the red fuel stays in the system :( so I quit feeding it to the old ford.

They let us use it for a few weeks after the last hurricane. I wonder if I could convince them that the red dye must of stayed in the tank from last year?

they do that occasionally around here on some of the roads going to the salebarn
have heard that the fine is big and bad and no EXCUSES. not known as fact but heard of one guy that had just a trace of red in his fuel from a truck that used to have farm plates on it, cut him no slack even though he had purchased the truck a few weeks prior, and the original owner stood up for him

I did some reading up n this the other day. After the hurricaines the feds said that you could use off-road diesel as long as the fed taxes were paid. Seems like only a couple of states got on board with it.

dun

Dumb question: If your truck has two tanks and you run regular in the front and red in the back tank when you are off-road, are you doing anything wrong? I know they'll light you up, but are you really breaking the law?

I surely wont take the chance. That fine would buy a man several head of Cattle. I'd say if the vehicle has a license plate on it, they'd fry you.

My wife was stopped in my truck on the 9th of may at the Kansas/ Missouri line between Fort Scott and Nevada, just so they could check the tank. They gave her a little flier that said the first ticket was 10,000 dollars and went up from there.

cfpinz":3i7lqn3a said:
Dumb question: If your truck has two tanks and you run regular in the front and red in the back tank when you are off-road, are you doing anything wrong? I know they'll light you up, but are you really breaking the law?

They check fuel at the engine if there is a question of tanks.

Like on my Ford, they just screwed the lid off the filter cannister and got a sample.

Lot's of people have an auxiliary tank in the bed that is piped to the engine.

The DOT ain't fools. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cfpinz":fqipodd7 said:
Is the vehicle a licensed vehicle in any state of the United States? If so yes you are breaking the law. Regardless if you are off the road or not really doesn't matter. Licensed or unlicensed is the more improtant factor.

somn":3k7fcy9d said:
cfpinz":3k7fcy9d said:
Is the vehicle a licensed vehicle in any state of the United States? If so yes you are breaking the law. Regardless if you are off the road or not really doesn't matter. Licensed or unlicensed is the more improtant factor.

That was a hypothetical question. I'm not brazen (stupid) enough to try and take on the DOT over a few nickels.

Latest posts