MLV??

Help Support CattleToday:

FROGHOLLOWFARM

Reaction score
What is the minimum amount of time would you wait before putting heifers that you gave a MLV shot to ,before putting them back in with bred cows that have not had a MLV shot.

THANKS

My vet says it takes about 2-3 weeks for the MLV to be eliminated from the cow... so I figure wait about that long.

Why would you give MLV to heifers, and not have the cows on the same program?

I understand that the industry has been pushing MLV, but there is still not enough proof that MLV is not any better than a killed.

To get back to your question, I would give them 2 to 4 weeks and then put them back in.

What's the big deal with MLV's are though?
If an animal has BVD, BRVS, IP3............the MLV's aren't going to do any more than a killed vaccine.

Just my opinion & checkbook talking.

ENNOT":1loliqdu said:
Why would you give MLV to heifers, and not have the cows on the same program?

The original poster specifically stated his cows were bred, depending on what he was vaccinating for, MLV's can cause pregnant cows to abort. .

I understand that the industry has been pushing MLV, but there is still not enough proof that MLV is not any better than a killed.

I beg to differ, the MLV's do more than a killed vaccine because the body responds faster with antibodies to a live or modified live vaccine than it does to a killed vaccine - hence the one vaccination vs two with a killed vaccine.

What's the big deal with MLV's are though?
If an animal has BVD, BRVS, IP3............the MLV's aren't going to do any more than a killed vaccine.

No vaccine is effective in an animal that has ALREADY CONTRACTED an illness - the whole point of vaccinations is to PREVENT illness by building antibodies against a specific disease, not to treat it.

ENNOT,I am trying to get all of my cows switched over to MLV from killed,because every thing i have heard and read is that MLV is the best and it is a little cheaper depending on what you use. THANKS for the help.

I use MLV - Pfizers brand, BoviShield - for MANY years now. I checked with the Pfizer rep about vaccinating open cows that ran with bred cows and there was absolutly no problem in doing this - no seperating for any length of time.
Researchers are now thinking that killed vaccines will only give protection for a few months (and that's after proper boosters) - and they think MLV MAY be good for life - althouth they recommend at least every two years.
I still give annual boosters in spring prior to breeding.

Latest posts