MLV Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":1fjzcsir said:
BUT! with hardjo-bovis, it's not a late-term abortion deal, it's an early embryonic death... cows/heifers just keep re-cycling on a regular 17-23 day cycle... eventually, after 3-4 cycles or more, they'll probably stick and carry to term, but if you've got a 45 or 60 day breeding period... they're gonna come up open.

When the first HB vaccines came out, I was, like, "That's a vaccine looking for a disease." I didn't believe it was necessary.
However, I've changed my tune. I do think it's out there in a lot of beef herds...pretty sure I had it.

Right there is why I have been insistent in advising others to make sure their pentavalent lepto vaccine covers HB.

It was neighbors plural. I definitely have a different management and marketing style. But their calf survival results are not much different than mine. No vaccinations, no mineral and no problems. Sometimes I think we're being sold a bill of goods by a bunch of highly educated veterinarian salesmen. I'm willing to bet that they'll find another strain or something else that needs to be vaccinated for before long...it's their job.

True Grit Farms":27iuyv2e said:
It was neighbors plural. I definitely have a different management and marketing style. But their calf survival results are not much different than mine. No vaccinations, no mineral and no problems. Sometimes I think we're being sold a bill of goods by a bunch of highly educated veterinarian salesmen. I'm willing to bet that they'll find another strain or something else that needs to be vaccinated for before long...it's their job.

You sure are a cynical old bird. Lol

Bright Raven":e0ui4mee said:
Lucky_P":e0ui4mee said:
BUT! with hardjo-bovis, it's not a late-term abortion deal, it's an early embryonic death... cows/heifers just keep re-cycling on a regular 17-23 day cycle... eventually, after 3-4 cycles or more, they'll probably stick and carry to term, but if you've got a 45 or 60 day breeding period... they're gonna come up open.

When the first HB vaccines came out, I was, like, "That's a vaccine looking for a disease." I didn't believe it was necessary.
However, I've changed my tune. I do think it's out there in a lot of beef herds...pretty sure I had it.

Right there is why I have been insistent in advising others to make sure their pentavalent lepto vaccine covers HB.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... gJQ4_D_BwE
Is this the same kind of HB as in a MLV?

True Grit Farms":3gund8mo said:
Bright Raven":3gund8mo said:
Lucky_P":3gund8mo said:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... gJQ4_D_BwE
Is this the same kind of HB as in a MLV?

That covers the HB that is in Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5 HB. Yes.

True Grit beat me to it but i was going to say, the newest version of Triangle 10 includes the HB. Which is also what we use. I give it to everything even steers. Obviously they don't need all that it provides but when they are going down the chute its easier for us with our size herd to give everything the same. We have a fairly wide calving period and I don't feel the MLV benefit is worth the risk. Knock on wood we don't have issues with sick cattle using the Triangle 10 HB.

Cucumber35":2q5trdzg said:
True Grit beat me to it but i was going to say, the newest version of Triangle 10 includes the HB. Which is also what we use. I give it to everything even steers. Obviously they don't need all that it provides but when they are going down the chute its easier for us with our size herd to give everything the same. We have a fairly wide calving period and I don't feel the MLV benefit is worth the risk. Knock on wood we don't have issues with sick cattle using the Triangle 10 HB.

Sounds fine. I am not saying you have to use a MLV preparation for the FP 5 viruses. My main intention was to address the misinformation that causes the hypertension over the words Modified Live Virus.

The killed or attenuated preparations have been demonstrated to provide immunity if properly administered.

Triangle 10 HB includes the killed FP5 viruses and the 5 lepto bacteria in a bacterin preparation. The HB serovar is included.

Latest posts